DMP3 to Audiophile 2496

flourish

How do I send the signal from my DMP3 to my Audiophile 2496 sound card? The Audiophile has 2 analog inputs - left and right. So, I purchased a 1/4'' stereo jack to dual phono y-cable (radio shack). My thinking was to send the Balanced Output - Channel A signal to this y-cable into the Audiofile. All I have are mono instrument cables... I would think a single stereo cable would be best... this way I can get stereo vocals and stereo guitar into the Audiophile. Otherwise, I'd have mono. Isn't stereo the way to go?

Does this make sense? A guy in local shop tried to sell me 2 mono cables and 2 couplers... which seemed like a waste. I do have the DMP3 in one room and my PC in another so I need a 25' cable.

Should I go for something like this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=42/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/331684/

What you need is a mono cable with a cinch connector on one side and an unbalanced (a.k.a. TS) mono jack on the other. Two of those if you want to use both channels.
Don't bother with balanced cables. The Audiophile inputs (and outputs) are cinch, therefore unbalanced.

Plug the unbalanced mono jack in the DMP3's output and the cinch in the audiophile and you're set.

Cabling Confusion

I am not familiar with a "cinch connector". Is that a synonym for a Phono or RCA connector?

Can you send me a link to a product? I think I would need an adapter to go from the instrument cable to the audiophile. What is TS? Also, I've seen mono cables sold in shops and some of them are labeled speaker, mic, or instrument. I thought a mono cable was just a mono cable! What do the differences provide?

By the way, you mentioned the audiphile inputs are cinch (I am guessing that's a synonym for RCA/Phono) and there are two: left and right. I thought "balanced" meant stereo, left and right channels. Am I wrong?

Because the DMP3 has balanced output, and I would think the left and right inputs in the Audiophile makes it stereo/balanced.

Maybe I'm wrong...

Back