DMP3 / RNP inches or miles?

Robert D

Ok, the DMP3, the little box that could. Clearly the underdog. Never badmouthed, even the gear snobs have to give it it's props.
The RNP, priced something like 3 times higher, expectedly a notch or three higher than the DMP3.
So, can anyone familiar with both units characterize the difference between them. Is a DMP3 to RNP upgrade a 3x improvement, or is this already into the diminishing returns rule. Is it possibly a case of "either will do nicely on instruments, but the RNP is way better on Vocs"?
Share your thoughts, please.

-RD

Last edited:
IMO, the RNP is a lot more musical than the DMP3, which can be a touch unforgiving and a little harsh in the highs. The RNP is extremely clean and musical, especially for the price. I wish I still had mine.

Also, the DI on the RNP versus the DMP3 is not even a contest. The RNP DI is one of my favorites.

I own both and agree with Harvey. The only A/B tests I've done to compare them have been on a floor tom and kick drum... but I could hear a significant difference. The RNP was fuller, bigger, better sounding.

I wouldn't be comfortable saying the difference is in inches or miles... but if I had to choose between 8 channels of RNP vs. 8 channels of DMP3... that would be an easy choice (RNP).

However, the DMP3 is definitely a step up from the pres in my Mackie VLZ or my drummer's Yamaha MG.

So to ask a continuing question....

If you had to get four channels of these pres...would you get one of each because of the differences? Or would you just get two RNP's? Or two DMP3's?

Jacob

Hi Harvey,
Thanks for the brief reply. In your case I'll apply the appropriate weighting to the term "very". In regards to vocs, I don't usually use my DMP3, prefering one of my more colored pres - most often my Focusrite Trakmaster with either my NTK or MK319. So is the RNP a move more in the Grace 101 direction (extreme clean/wire with gain), or is does it have some "Character"?

Oh, hey....while I've got you on the phone, I was thinking of picking up a LOMO head for my 012 kits. Given my two main vocal mics above, would this be a good add.

thanks, RD

The answer to this question would be almost solely predicated on whether you feel that there is a large difference between lower-priced mic pres and the higher-priced ones in general.

That's the question you should be asking, and luckily there are plenty of threads devoted to that very topic that you can quickly and easily research.

jkokura said:
So to ask a continuing question....

If you had to get four channels of these pres...would you get one of each because of the differences? Or would you just get two RNP's? Or two DMP3's?

Jacob

I'd get the four channel Sytek and two RNCs. The Sytek is sweeter sounding than the RNP (IMO) and also quieter. More "neutral" I'd say, I guess....better for stacking tracks. But no DI. Check into the Sytek.

The RNP is a great pre though. It has a bit of a bite in the mids-highs that can be good. And, as mentioned, it is a very good DI for bass or guitar, especially with the RNC.

I've enjoyed having both the RNP and the Sytek. The two cover a lot of bases.

Keep in mind these are the opinions of an idiot.

chessrock said:
The answer to this question would be almost solely predicated on whether you feel that there is a large difference between lower-priced mic pres and the higher-priced ones in general.

That's the question you should be asking, and luckily there are plenty of threads devoted to that very topic that you can quickly and easily research.

Good point, and I've read most of those threads. I sway heavily towards the mic side of the "which is more important" argument, though I certainly don't think that a pre is a pre is a pre. As always, I'm looking for the best return on my measly annual budget for audio toys.

-RD

Well I own both these preamps,and side by side I was rather disapointed.
{Not much difference.}
But when you put them in a dense mix 20,30,40 tracks.
The RNP blows the doors off the Dmp3.
Highly recomended, especially when its partnered with a RNC.

Lee.

Robert D said:
Hi Harvey,
Thanks for the brief reply. In your case I'll apply the appropriate weighting to the term "very". In regards to vocs, I don't usually use my DMP3, prefering one of my more colored pres - most often my Focusrite Trakmaster with either my NTK or MK319. So is the RNP a move more in the Grace 101 direction (extreme clean/wire with gain), or is does it have some "Character"?

Oh, hey....while I've got you on the phone, I was thinking of picking up a LOMO head for my 012 kits. Given my two main vocal mics above, would this be a good add.

thanks, RD
IT has the clean transparent sound, but it has some color as well. It almost sounds like you've cleaned a dirty window (actually, more like you've smashed the dirty window).

As far as the LOMO head is concerned, we use it here a lot, on everything from Marshall stacks to vocals. It's a very warm mic.

I have the RNP/RNC combo and am considering a ribbon mic. People one this board with ribbon mic's say that the pre amp is extremely important. Is the RNP able to handle a ribbon mic?

I am thinking of upgrading my pre in the near future. Any of you guys with both these preamps have a small snippette of something you could post, that is the same, except for the different pre's? I would love to hear something, and maybe see if I could tell a differece. I have a DMP3 now, and an RNC. The RNP seems like a good deal, but I have no experience myself.
Thanks, guys.
Ed

I think it's all about inches at this point. And as you know, sometimes a few inches can make a big difference. : )

When you get into "miles", then I think you're getting more into the players and their abilities, the song, the arrangement, and the production.

There's a couple of informative comparisons in the links at the bottom of this page for similar threads. I have the DMP3 but have never compared it with the RNP.

cnix said:
I have the RNP/RNC combo and am considering a ribbon mic. People one this board with ribbon mic's say that the pre amp is extremely important. Is the RNP able to handle a ribbon mic?
Don't own a RNP (wish I did) but there was a thread a while back where a couple people weren't able to get enough quiet juice out of their RNP for a ribbon. I am using a SP VTB-1 for my ribbon, which works great and is cheap.

Back