DMP3 as a bass DI

Cuzme

Hello,
Please forgive me for asking a question twice (I've asked this in the "Rack" forum but inside a thread that I think has pretty much died).

I purchased a DMP3 yesterday and tested it as a Bass DI first. I could not turn up past 9 o'clock without the sound completely disappearing (after a brief moment of distortion). But the red peak lights never lit :confused: . It sounded good but is this normal? Can I not push it?

I tried a microphone through the XLR input and it worked fine all around the clock.

I plugged my drum machine into both channels with the quarter inch inputs and it worked fine.

Thoughts? Has anyone had this happen?

Much love,
Cuzme

Well, I don't recall if I've ever used the DMP3 as a DI box before, but I tried it tonight on both bass and electric guitar (passive pickups on both). It didn't cut out on me, but that input definitely has more gain than I was expecting. With the gain knob all the way to the left (+6dB), I was clipping on loud notes. I had to engage the gain pad and then was able to adjust the volume. Bass frequencies seemed to gobble up the headroom on this pre (although the tone was quite nice). Engaging the low cut helped, but that's not ideal for bass. Very interesting.

Cuzme said:
Hello,
Please forgive me for asking a question twice (I've asked this in the "Rack" forum but inside a thread that I think has pretty much died).

I purchased a DMP3 yesterday and tested it as a Bass DI first. I could not turn up past 9 o'clock without the sound completely disappearing (after a brief moment of distortion). But the red peak lights never lit :confused: . It sounded good but is this normal? Can I not push it?

I tried a microphone through the XLR input and it worked fine all around the clock.

I plugged my drum machine into both channels with the quarter inch inputs and it worked fine.

Thoughts? Has anyone had this happen?

Much love,
Cuzme

i've seen this once, plosives on an old ribbon mic thru the dmp3 did this, then shortly after everything was fine. i always thought it was the mic, and have never had a problem with my dmp3.

It's always worked fine for me for that purpose. I usually have the knob set around 10 to 11:00. It does start to clip if you go higher than that, but the sound has never dropped out on me.

Back