DMAN 2044 PROBLEMS

Pete

I bought the DMAN 2044. Thought it was a nice card to use together with Cubasis VST which allows you to record on 32 channels of audio.

But it seems I jumped in without doing enough research, because it seems I can only record on 8 channels of audio. Help me out here. Does that mean that even if I insert 32 tracks and assign 32 different channels to them, that I'd only be allowed to record on 8 of them. In other words, no more than 8 channels of audio can be played simultaneously? If that is the case, it seems like my DMAN has serious limitations.

What about other soundcards. Can some of thoese like the Gina or Darlia record on 32?

I've got an ESS card which came out with the computer, but due to a IRQ conflict or something, I cannot get it to work at all, despite messing around with the IRQ's. Should I manage to get it working again, can I use the card together with the DMAN to overcome my 8 channel limitation problems?

Oh and another thing, my windows mixer seems to be messed up as well. When I cvlick on the speaker and the volume slider pops up, I cannot move it. WHen I activate the mixer, only the four audio output channel sliders can be moved and I don't seem to find the audio input (recording level) sliders. Only in the audio mixer of Cubase, can I see the recording sliders. What can be wrong?

Sorry for all this questions, but I'm stuck and really need some expert opinion and advice.

Thanks

Hello Pete. My DMAN is actually in the shop right now, so I have plenty of time to help you out.

First off, the DMAN 2044 has only 4 inputs, so if you want to record more than that you will have to premix them beforehand. You or may not have known that, but I thought I would get it out of the way.

The 8 track limit may be due to your computer as a whole and not just the audio card; it may not be "fast" enough to play/record more at one time. Are you sure some of the 32 tracks aren't midi tracks?

What you need to do for the mixer is go to properties in the file menu and select all of the channels that are available (with the DMAN you will have 4playback channels and 4monitor channels). When you do this, all of them will show up in the main mixer view. The reason you can't move the slider is b/c it is supposed to control a stereo source, but the DMAN has only mono inputs (as it should b/c it's not a soundcard). If the slied did work it would only change to volume in one track (Left or Right).

You should also d/l the latest drivers at www.midiman.net .

Hope that helps some.

mandelbrot

Back