DM5 footswitch troubles

ignition

A friend of mine recently gave me a DM5 w/ some random drums, pads, etc. I can't for the life of me get the hi-hat footswitch to work, and I was just wondering if anyone had some suggestions, maybe I'm overlooking something obvious.

The footswitch he gave me is a Roland FD-7, which I have plugged into the footswitch jack on the DM5. I have the footswitch set in the DM5 to the hi-hat setting, but it doesn't work for scrolling through the kits either. If I unplug the cable from either the footswitch or the DM5, it makes the closing hi-hat sound once as I unplug the cable (weird?).

Things I have tried:
- Did a full reset on the DM5 back to factory settings, so it doesn't appear that the problem is with a setting on the unit.
- I have tried multiple cables.
- I plugged the footswitch into my keyboard's footswitch jack, and it works fine as a sustain pedal, so I believe the footswitch itself is working fine.

Help please! :D

try your sustain pedal in the DM5. I have a DM5, and have never had any trouble, so can't really offer any advice.
Hey... does your friend have anything else he wants to give away??? jus kiddin... ;)

Peace!

~Shawn

Thanks. I don't actually have a sustain pedal, but after doing a little more searching, it sounds like the FD-7 might not be compatible w/ the DM5, so I ordered a cheapo sustain pedal from Musician's Friend to test it out. Hopefully that will work :D

I'm not sure why he would have a hi-hat pedal that doesn't work with the unit, and I haven't been able to get ahold of him to ask, but hey it's free :D

Thanks. I don't actually have a sustain pedal, but after doing a little more searching, it sounds like the FD-7 might not be compatible w/ the DM5, so I ordered a cheapo sustain pedal from Musician's Friend to test it out. Hopefully that will work :D

I'm not sure why he would have a hi-hat pedal that doesn't work with the unit, and I haven't been able to get ahold of him to ask, but hey it's free :D

It probably needs a trs cord ?

It probably needs a trs cord ?

That's one of the things I thought at first too, but I tried a number of different cables, including some TRS ones, and it didn't make a difference.

Anyway, I got the cheapo M Audio pedal today, and it works. From what I read online, it appears that the DM5 needs a "momentary" footswitch, and the FD-7 is not one. Too bad, because the FD-7 is way nicer looking and feeling than the one I ended up with, but at least this one works.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway :D

Back