DM Pro and Korg

Smoulders

Hiya.

Just a quickie.

Whats going to be the cheapest way (bit of kit) for me to have both my DM Pro and Korg X3 synth connected via midi to my PC setup.

I've got a delta 10/10 sound card, with only 1 midi in and out, so I'm guessing its a MIDI time piece I need or something?

Any ideas on a really cheap bit of kit to acheive this?

Thanks for your time...

Take a MIDI cable from the DMPro's MIDI THRU to X3's MIDI IN. Of course, the computer's MIDI OUT goes to the DMPro's MIDI IN. Can't get much cheaper than a MIDI cable.

Cheers mate..

So then, the out of the X3 goes to the in of the PC, or the In of the DM Pro perhaps?

I still cant imagine how id have a two way flow with both instruments with only the 1 midi in and out on the PC if you see what I mean.

I'm being a bit thick i'm afraid

X3 MIDI out to computer MIDI in (or even better, X3 MIDI thru to computer to allow DM Pro info to pass-thru unrestricted). 2 way communication between the units is achieved via MIDI channels. Set the X3 to send and recieve on Channel 1, and the DM Pro to send and recieve on channel 10 (Ch.10 is the default MIDI drum channel). The synths will only respond to information on the selected channels (i.e. Note and Controller messages on both ch.1 and ch.10 are sent from the computer to the DM Pro, which accepts messages on ch.10 and ignores ch.1, that info is then sent to the X3 (via the DM Pro's MIDI "THRU") which accepts ch1 and ignores ch10). Personally I would put the X3 before the DM Pro though so that you can still play the DM pro via the X3 keyboard, without having to loop through your computer's sequencer (Which will introduce some latency).

Thanks alot for that mate. I'l check it out. I'm triggering the DM Pro through a kit, so i'm gueesing i'l want that first in the chain.

1 thing though...I don't quite get "or even better, X3 MIDI thru to computer to allow DM Pro info to pass-thru unrestricted".

If I were to do as you suggest and continue the chain (after DM Pro thu to X3 in) by going X3 THRU to PC in then the OUT of the X3 is not being used. In that case, why would there be any difference between using the X3 OUT or X3 Thru as the other one isnt being used (maybe it is and I've missed that whole thing).

Hope that makes sense and thanks very much for the help.

Oh yeah. Given this Midi thru business, at what point would I need to invest in a MIDI interface? Is it when Your using more than two MIDI instruments at once? I hope so otherwise I really don't understand.

Cheers

Smoulders said:
Oh yeah. Given this Midi thru business, at what point would I need to invest in a MIDI interface? Is it when Your using more than two MIDI instruments at once? I hope so otherwise I really don't understand.
Here are links to two good articles on midi basics - part one and part two. They may be a little too basic for you, but we can all use a refresher course now and then...

Smoulders said:
If I were to do as you suggest and continue the chain (after DM Pro thu to X3 in) by going X3 THRU to PC in then the OUT of the X3 is not being used. In that case, why would there be any difference between using the X3 OUT or X3 Thru as the other one isnt being used (maybe it is and I've missed that whole thing).
Basically the out port is used to send anything that is originating within that specific synth, and the thru port basically allows all information in the Midi stream to pass along unrestricted. The MIDI out can act as a MIDI thru, and mostly depends on how the specific synth deals with MIDI merging functions (Hence, Some synths only feature MIDI Out/Thru on one plug which is selected via the synths interface).
Obviously a multiple-port interface cuts down on confusion as you don't have to worry about a lot of these factors, but introduces new factors to deal with (Patching functions), but I think ultimately it is the best, most flexable way to work.

Back