DL4 alternative?

akpcep

Hi all,

I've had a Line6 DL4 delay modeler for about a year, but true to form it's crapped out - this seems like a common thing with the Line6 gear - sounds good, but it's not terribly well made.

If I can't fix it, I'm looking to get a replacement delay unit - does anyone have any suggestions? It's gotta be a stompbox and fit on my pedaltrain, but I'll miss the DL4 as it has some cool features I really liked. I don't want something too clinical/digital, but I don't want anything noisy either, and it's pretty much got to be true bypass.

Any suggestions guys?

Been looking at an EH Memory Man, and kind-of auditioning it using the DL4s modeling of it - quite like it, are the new reissues built to last?

Not sure about them I absolutely love my maxon ad-999 though
Its got up to 900 MS of analog delay and sounds fantastic to my ears.
... I still would love to get a genuine tape delay but damn.... $$$ 8sigh*

akpcep said:
Hi all,

I've had a Line6 DL4 delay modeler for about a year, but true to form it's crapped out - this seems like a common thing with the Line6 gear - sounds good, but it's not terribly well made.

If I can't fix it, I'm looking to get a replacement delay unit - does anyone have any suggestions? It's gotta be a stompbox and fit on my pedaltrain, but I'll miss the DL4 as it has some cool features I really liked. I don't want something too clinical/digital, but I don't want anything noisy either, and it's pretty much got to be true bypass.

Any suggestions guys?

I would recommend a Line6 DL4 to replace your Line6 DL4. Seriously, the "problem" with the Line6 pedals is that there's a lot of hype about their supposed poor quality, but with no real evidence to back it up. I've had a DL4 for about 4 years and an MM4 for about 2 years and I gig with them at least twice a week. The one problem I've had is that the nut on the tap tempo switch of the DL4 came loose and the switch fell into the body of the pedal. I called up Line6's dealer resource line and told the guy "I'm not a dealer, but I'm having this problem here and I can't get the circuit board out of the way", and he said "uhh....ok....well you can do this and this and it should be fine."

As far as their pedals go, I'll stand behind them all the way. Now their AMPS on the other hand... :\

Well, thanks for an interesting take on the other side of the argument! I've got an MM4 as well (love that too) but that's been behaving oddly as well...

After taking my DL4 to bits yesterday and putting it back together (no obvious problems I could see) it still selected the wrong preset when you pressed a button etc. but I took it to rehearsal anyway and it behaved impeccably.

The thing is, I can't afford to use "unpredictable" gear... maybe I'll hang fire for a while and see if it sorts itself out. Failing that, I might try my luck with another one - any idea if the newer ones (with the new Line6 logo on) have any software revisions etc?

Back