DKFH 2 Questions

dmbpettit

My questions with this software is extensive and before I post them here I was wondering if there is anyone who is knowledgeable about the program.

Thank You

What's your problem? In a nutshell... I use DFH2 but I'm no ultramegapro, so I'm not shure I've got the info you need...

I have a 1GB of Ram and when ever I load up a kit, it tells me at about 95% that I am running out of physical memory but still finishes the kit load. It warns me about possible artifacts which I seem to get the toms. So I have decided to create my own kit. Frist I load the kick and then I load the snare. It will only play one of them at a time. If kick is highlighted I can play the kick but not the snare. I push the key assigned to the snare but nothing happens, and if I highlight the snare the opposite occurrs. What is going on? It doesn't work this way when I load one of the preset kits.

All you need is the patch for this product:
http://www.soundsonline.com/techsupport.dfh2.shtml
download the kompakt software update and also the sound libraby update. The Kontakt update adds "Direct From Disk", which allows DFH2 to work with much less ram, because it only loads the very beginning of every sample into the ram, and reads the rest directly from disk.

The library update fixes some bugs on the panning of the toms, the hihat velocity is reversed.

I just tried to make my own kit and your right, I have no clue what it doesn't play both samples. Weird.

First I will assign the kick and then I will assign the snare. Now I cannot play both at the same time ( I mean I cannot hear both). In the box where you choose the drum to assign the type, which ever one is highlighted is the one I can hear.

Ah...that's easy. You'll need to set them all to the same channel. (SEE RED SQUARE IN PIC)
Click it to select the channel. I usually set them all to 1.

Now for the next question...are you using the keypad to record your drum tracks??? :eek:

Can you edit a sample within a group? Example - I would like to pan the china cymbal a bit to the center, but I always end up panning the entire group...

ReDRuM said:
Can you edit a sample within a group? Example - I would like to pan the china cymbal a bit to the center, but I always end up panning the entire group...

I'm not sure...I am pretty sure you can load individual toms, but not sure about cymbals.

ReDRuM said:

No. There would have to be one mic per cymbal for that too happen, which is not the case. You can only pick the overheads.

you can assign a single tom to a channel (a stereo channel actually), and then you can pan the entire channel to wherever you want. However, if you want to have panning control over every tom individually, you'll run out of space for the rest of the mics.

Here is how I have done it. I put the toms on individual midi tracks in Sonar. Then I solo that midi track and run it out of my soundcard and back in to the card. The tom comes back in on an audio track that is recording. Then just pan away!

Ok, here's a question for all you DFH2 users. In Kompakt stand-alone mode (I don't have an expensive audio software package) how do you assign two different sounds to one key? I want to mix the snare top and bottom signals so that when I press one key, I get both mic sounds.

BTW, the documentation included in the package is pretty sucky for someone who's never dealt with a software synth before.

grweldon said:
BTW, the documentation included in the package is pretty sucky for someone who's never dealt with a software synth before.

It's sucky for anyone. Try the toontrack forums, there is a DFH2 room there and some helpful people and advice. If you search in the other rooms you'll find some great EQ tips too.

http://www.toontrack.com/forum/

In stand alone mode or otherwise I don't believe you can assign two "Sounds" to a key. I might be wrong though.

Good luck :)

Back