DIY XLR to TS confusion (Sytek to RNC)

pietro79

There's another thread on here that touches on making XLR to TS cables, but I need to clear up something specific:

I'm trying to build cables to connect my Sytek's balanced output (XLR) to my RNC's unbalanced input (TS)

Looking at RANE's notes on interconnecting, I'm looking at the table attached for reference in assembling the cables...

So, #3 is what I need to make...
connecting female XLR to male TS...
PIN 1 and the SLEEVE connect to SHIELD
PIN 2 and the TIP to "red" ("hot")

XLR's PIN 3 is where I get confused. RANE's notes say to leave it unconnected, but other sources say to connect PIN 3 to the SHIELD aswell

In fact, in regards to hooking up the RNC to a balanced system, FRM's website says:

"This all assumes that your equipment can tolerate connecting the COLD (Pin #3) to ground (some can't). So, to be on the safe side, please check with the manufacturer to make sure that you can hook up your balanced outputs this way."

This makes it seem like PIN #3 IS connected to ground...

RANE doesn't joke around though... so who to believe?

Thank you for your help!

p

Attachments

• n110fig4a.gif
    n110fig4a.gif
    46.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Jumper the XLR plug's ground (pin 1) to cold (pin 3) within the plug itself, pin 1 (or 3, doesn't matter of course) goes to ground (sleeve) at the phono end; XLR hot (pin 2) goes to hot (tip) phono end.

robin watson said:
Sorry, don't do this where phantom power is at the XLR end.

As an aside, I'm soon to be linking my HD24's balanced TRS outs to my mixer's XLR inputs (using a TRS > XLR loom) would anything bad happen to the HD24 if the mixer's phantom power was accidentally turned on, or left on when connected :confused:

What kind of mixer do you have?

When I hooked the balanced line output signal from my ADAT decks to my Yamaha mixer by way of the XLR in's, the signal was getting boosted even with the gain all the way down. You'll most likely want to get cables that connect the TRS outs from the HD24 to the TRS line inputs on your mixer. That will alleviate any concern about phantom power as well, even though I don't know what it would do. The HD24 might have a safegaurd in place, but it isn't recommended.

I've a Yamaha mixer as well (MG series)... I think you may well be right... d'oh... naturally I was going to use the line inputs on the mixer (so that would be TRS > TRS) but was concerned about impedance matching, the HD24 is low impedance out so in my head I matched that with the mixer XLR inputs, but the mixer line inputs are also low impedance aren't they, and I wouldn't want the mixer boosting the signal as I've a separate 8 Pre for that. I've already ordered the 8 way TRS-XLR loom now, but it was quite cheap :o

Cazzbar said:
As an aside, I'm soon to be linking my HD24's balanced TRS outs to my mixer's XLR inputs (using a TRS > XLR loom) would anything bad happen to the HD24 if the mixer's phantom power was accidentally turned on, or left on when connected :confused:

Don't do that! The mixer's XLRs are for mic level incoming signals. The HD24 will be sending out line level - ouch. And sending 48v of Phan power to the HD24 will not help matters either.

robin watson said:
Don't do that! The mixer's XLRs are for mic level incoming signals. The HD24 will be sending out line level - ouch. And sending 48v of Phan power to the HD24 will not help matters either.

You're right, thanks for the slap!

Cazzbar said:
I've a Yamaha mixer as well (MG series)... I think you may well be right... d'oh... naturally I was going to use the line inputs on the mixer (so that would be TRS > TRS) but was concerned about impedance matching, the HD24 is low impedance out so in my head I matched that with the mixer XLR inputs, but the mixer line inputs are also low impedance aren't they, and I wouldn't want the mixer boosting the signal as I've a separate 8 Pre for that. I've already ordered the 8 way TRS-XLR loom now, but it was quite cheap :o
Low and high are relative terms. You have to compare it to something else. The line level outputs of your HD24 are a match for the line level inputs of the mixer.

Back