DIY Reverb unit

meowadishi

Looking for good resources for diy rack mounted reverb. Im thinking spring reverb but I am open to suggestions.

PAIA Hot Springs. comes as a kit. you can get the manual online and build it on perf board if so inclined if you have another source for springs. mine has some hum (i didn't use the stock springs, so it may be an impedance issue with the springs) but it is a way cool reverb, uses two springs wired in an out of phase manner, as per the designer Craig Anderton it cancels out some of the boingy/sproingy sound you get from spring reverbs. It is also a no knob machine. use it on an aux buss. It is really great sounding considering it's a spring reverb.

I built mine in a 2U rack case, with an external +/- 15v psu.

http://www.paia.com/proddetail.asp?prod=6740K

You don't really need a kit, you can drive a tank with a decent headphone amp and use a mic amp for recovery. Wire the recovery side balanced to minimize hum. Buy the biggest tanks from Accutronics for the best sound.

You don't really need a kit, you can drive a tank with a decent headphone amp and use a mic amp for recovery. Wire the recovery side balanced to minimize hum. Buy the biggest tanks from Accutronics for the best sound.

Agreed, but the PAIA kit (I originally bought just the PCB and manual -- I don't htink they sell it that way anymore) has a unique design, uses two spring tanks wired out of phase. I had a bunch of springs, and I recycled a route case that had one small hole in the front perfect for the clipping LED.

And I agree that a kit form can be handy, but you can do the differential drive thing from your DAW as well, also with the current drive which is also handy but can be done by pre-EQing the output signal. It's just a question of what you have vs. how cheap you are vs. whether you want a self-contained solution.

I'm an extremely cheap man :cool:

Back