DIY Passive Summing Box

Spdrman288

Hey All,
Just thought I'd share my weekend project. It's a 14 channel (7 stereo) Input. Passive Summing Box.

Just some copper, case, connectors, and resistors. The thing that's cool about this is I can do the make-up gain with any preamp to get different flavors. Enjoy
Brad

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 157
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 149
Is the chassis standard rack size? where did you get it? How much? I looked around for a 1U rack chassis and they're pretty expensive for what they do. Your chassis looks like about the right size and can just put rack ears on it.

Thanks,

Nice!

I've seen people make 1U enclosures out of aluminum channel from the hardware store.

I made my passive control box using a 1U case from a Digitrex 12 bit reverb unit that was perhaps the worst sounding POS on the planet. The cheapest source for of cases is for sure all the crap gear nobody wants. Come over to my house and I"ll give you a Pro MidiBass case., you want 2, no problem.

What you do is get a piece of flat aluminum and screw that to the front

For my next stuff though - all wood, no more metal cases. It looks better, sounds better next to me in my room and is what I like.

Nice!

I've seen people make 1U enclosures out of aluminum channel from the hardware store.

I made my passive control box using a 1U case from a Digitrex 12 bit reverb unit that was perhaps the worst sounding POS on the planet. The cheapest source for of cases is for sure all the crap gear nobody wants. Come over to my house and I"ll give you a Pro MidiBass case., you want 2, no problem.

What you do is get a piece of flat aluminum and screw that to the front

For my next stuff though - all wood, no more metal cases. It looks better, sounds better next to me in my room and is what I like.

Ya know, I used to live on Date St. right off of Kapiolani.... but that was eons ago, in another life.

The aluminum channel is a thought. Thanks.

You could even screw a faceplate onto some rain gutter. I got the box from a recycled electronic store. Not sure what brand it is though.

I've been wanting to build one of these for a while!

Do you run into this from a DAW? I am wondering if I had 8 outs on my DAW, into one of these, into a nice 2 channel preamp, but then BACK into the DAW (to record the output) if I would reap any actual benefits...hmm.

What about centre panned stuff - do you use 2 up channels?

Back