DIY M3500 phase switch mod

JerAy

Hi all. I built some reverse phase cables for flipping mic phase and they worked great but.......i wanted to flip phase on my console. The Tascam M3500 does not have the swiches but it does have a nice blank plate on the master section ( for the M3700) . I copied the plate on aluminum and added 8 push on push switches on a sub plate. The back of the console has some "D" connector holes (again for the M3700) and ran 16, 2 conductor shielded cables to the switches. 8 cables have XLR males (mic in) and the other have females (to console mic in). I wired the switches to flip pins 2 and 3. I also add "mini" (T03 package?) LED's to each switch, red in phase, yellow out. Home Depot mixed some paint to match the console paint and some rub on lettering kinda makes the panel "blend in". The problem i have is that switching phase with 48V phantom on makes a loud "pop" and peaks the channel meters. Scared the crap out of me the first time. Until i can figure out what the fix is (drain caps?), i switch to line in, flip phase, and back to mic in. This kept the console happy. More? Comments?

Thanks! Can post a pic or two when time permits. I did a bunch of simple(?) DIY projects for my home studio. Willing to share with my analog buds. (and digital!). Any interest? Where should i post.

Jerry

JerAy said:
The problem i have is that switching phase with 48V phantom on makes a loud "pop" and peaks the channel meters. Scared the crap out of me the first time. Until i can figure out what the fix is (drain caps?), i switch to line in, flip phase, and back to mic in.
I was just thinking about this reading your post in another thread. Do you have break-before-make switches? If so you are basically turning off phantom each time you flip a switch - might be worth trying make-before-break, that way the phantom shouldn't be disrupted.

I go by the name of duh! (bangs head on wall). Thank you arjoll for the info. Will order and swap out the switches. Thanks again! Also, the correct LED package # is a T1 case size. Sorry 'bout that. Beck, thanks for the invite! I will join up so i can post about the M3500 mod. This place rocks!

Yeah! :)

This is kind of inspiring. Phase flip is what I miss the most on my Soundtracs Solo.... and now that you spell it out it seems like such an easy thing to do. Even if I have to frankenstein a box together for it.

Cool. :)

Chris

I'm just curious: I hardly EVER find myself in want of phase reversal, save maybe top and bottom of the snare or front and back of that Fender Twin.
What are you guys doing with phase reversal that a reverse cable just aint good enuff any more??

For me, my "live room" is at the other end of my house. I use the living room for drums and spare bedrooms for isolation. The laundry room is for bass. I have a 3 car gararge and sealed off the third bay to make it into a control room and added a 16 channel snake in the ceiling to the fare end spare room. With the switches in the c/r, i can flip the phase in "real time" while listing over the monitors for phase problems. I think someone (here?) said recording bass direct and with a mic may cause phase issues and aslo with muli mic guitar amp setups. True?

Back