Diy daw help!

Boongoon

Hello,

I am looking to build a custom DAW computer. I have built PC's in the past so that part i am not confused about. I need help deciding what specs are adequate with room for the future. Basically i do not want to build the bare minimum. I aslodo not want power i will never use.

I am a beginner in recording. I have a TD-12 Drum set, a Alesis MultiMix16 usb2.0. Let me throw in a caveat that i would also like to get into video. My kids want to remake Star Wars. Lord help me!

So, i would like some help on specs. I would like to use a rackmount case similar to the one Rain uses. I found this.

SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd - Designing Inspiration

It is about $140. So i would like to spend a total of $500-$700.

I would appreciate any help i could get. Oh, yeah, i would ultimately like to use Pro Tools 9.:eek:

If you're not in a hurry I would wait a couple of months. Intel will release their new Sandy Bridge architecture in January and AMD is following that up with their Bulldozer so there's a lot going on.
I know there will always be something newer and better but the release is soon so I would wait.

sandybridge and bulldozer are both futer trends... i wouldnt consider them for anything but bleeding edge... i think you ca do better on that case price... gotta get hip to new egg... music computers tend to be cpu and ram heavy... find out what your prog runs best on and what intertfaces they recommend...

I did look and it gives me a good idea. My feeling is that I can go with a minimal set up. If I get really into it I can upgrade then.

Actually a good strategy is to get what was state-of-the-art A YEAR AGO.

It will still give you a powerful machine but all the bugs will be worked out by the users/manufacturers.

You DO NOT want to work on the bleeding edge if you want to get anything done....

Sandy Bridge is the new middle segment. It will replace the current s1156 and the P55 and H55 chipsets. This is not the high end stuff to replace the s1366 Core i7 and X57, they are released months later. So Sandy bridge will have motherboards in the $100 range and affordable CPUs. Expect prices to end up the same as current i5.

I don't remember which range of Bulldozer AMD will release first but I think it was the high end stuff but I'm not sure.

I also do not want power i will never use.

No such thing. DAW plugins eat up a lot of CPU time. As you delve into mixing techniques, you're eventually going to want the ability to put a compressor, 4-band parametric EQ, and reverb on every track as your default project setup. Even if you don't use them all on every track or every project, it's good to know you could if you needed to. You won't have to worry about a CPU being too fast or too powerful.

Back