DIY cutting the rubber foam. How?

James Argo

Fancy Rock N' Roll
Ugh...

No Auralex dealers around my country. I have only access to the "regular" foam. So I bought 3 inches plain shaped foam. However, I need to cut them to shape 'em as difussor. you know...

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\
/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \
----------------------------------------------------------

It's too big & thick for regular cutter knife to cut it and keep in good shape. Does anyone know what should I use to cut and shape the foam? (not stryrofoam!). Thanks!!!

;)
Jaymz

Attachments

• dst_5cr.jpg
    dst_5cr.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 148
If you're concerned only about acoustics, don't cut the foam at all. The shapes do nothing for absorption, other than decrease the effective depth of the absorber, which worsens the results at lower frequencies. If you can't find rigid fiberglas board in your area (commercial insulation contractors, usually) then I would find some attractive cloth and cover the foam with that, and just put it up... Steve

You can order the 703 from Ethan, www.realtraps.com if you can't find it elsewhere, My box of 703 just came today.

larry

p.s. He will gladly answer any questions you have, via e-mail or over the phone. Great service too. ok my plug is over, lol:) :)

James,

Kightfly and gator are correct. Although to answer your original question, get an electric knife ($10 at Mal-Wart). Even if you go with the OC option being suggested, it's the tool to have.

You don't need the Owens-Corning brand. The key is to look for high-density (3-5lbs / sq ft or metric equivalent) panels of compressed fiberglass. There's also Knauf, Johns Manville and others.

It won't make the cool wavey shapes like the Auralex foam, it just sounds better and is generally cheaper.

Thanks guys :) Well, I'm not realy sure about stuff available here. Ordering from US will cost me realy high. You guys are correct, I'm thinking of building somekind of DIY diffusor board which will be placed on the side wall and back of my head. Not covering all over the area, only about 3 feets, starts ~ 3 feets from the ground. The rest area will be treated with wood materials :)

So, will -high density, textured cut, 3 inches thick- foam do as wall sound diffusor? Or do I get better options? Thank's !!!

Luv ya all.
;)
Jaymz

James, so remind me again (for the first time) where you are? Kinda hard to suggest sources without a general idea of location... Steve

I'm on the other side of the world...

Bandung, West Java, Indonesia. They impose me realy high import tax :( and that's why I think I better build my self some diffusor board instead buying those pre-made available. Beside, it's a good chance for me to learn many things on the way :) Thank's guys :)

;)
Jaymz

Kightfly and gator are correct. Although to answer your original question, get an electric knife ($10 at Mal-Wart). Even if you go with the OC option being suggested, it's the tool to have.

Another homebrew answer is to use a steakknife with a wooden handle, and use a propane torch to heat the blade a bit, then cut the foam that way. The $10 walmart solution is obviously much better, but the torch method works well too, and good if you don't have electricity, or a walmart (or equiv) nearby.

yes, wear gloves.

Back