DIY Bass Traps

mgraffeo

OK, I realize that this is practically sacriledge, but I came across a reference for DIY Bass Traps yesterday that wasn't Ethan's

:-o

It's here

http://ic.net/~jtgale/diy2.htm

And I'm wondering if anyone has tried anything like this.

I've read the sites as to why panel absorbers are supposed to be better than tube traps, etc, but I can't help but wonder if this isn't all just black magic anyways...

;-)

-mg

I tried it, but I have yet to record and put anything out that I would be willing to share. Hopefully, I will have something soon.

I think it has helped some when making mixes that translate. However, I couldn't compare it with panel absorbers because I haven't tried them. Panel absorbers wouldn't work for me because I have to access two closets behind the listening position, and tube traps placed in corners was better for me.

I could actually here a difference when I turned the paper side of the traps to the middle of the room.

MG,

> I've read the sites as to why panel absorbers are supposed to be better than tube traps, etc, but I can't help but wonder if this isn't all just black magic anyways... <

No black magic - absorption is pure science, and can be proven and measured.

A sheet of fiberglass wrapped into a circle will certainly absorb a little, but there is no way traps like that could be even close in performance to panel traps. It would be great if such a tube worked well, but there's no free lunch. :)

--Ethan

Ethan,

I hope I didn't offend your sensibilities. No question, absorption is easily quantifiable. "What's going to make the biggest difference in my room for the least amount of dollars?" is the black magic.

:-)

And, of course, us musicians / closet-recording-artists are generally a pretty cheap bunch of bastards...

-mg

BTW, how did the day at East Coast go last weekend? I was hoping to make it up there, but it didn't work out.

MG,

> I hope I didn't offend your sensibilities. <

I am not easily offended!

> "What's going to make the biggest difference in my room for the least amount of dollars?" is the black magic. <

As much 703 and/or 705 as you can manage.

> how did the day at East Coast go last weekend? <

Interesting, but not busy. There were fewer people than we expected (your presence would have been most appreciated!), and only a few of them cared about what we were showing. Hopefully AES this fall will have more activity. :)

--Ethan

Back