Dither 24 bit down to 16

scottn5388

I am running a bunch of tracks in SONAR 2 that are 24 bit and I'm getting dropouts when I start running a lot of plug-ins. How do I dither these 24 bit tracks down to 16 bits? Does SONAR have some built in function to do this?

Thanks,
Scott

Options > Audio > Advanced > Apply Dither.

However, I am not sure exactly when the dithering is applied. I know it is applied when you export a wave file. Not sure where else.

Also not sure if this will help with your dropouts (although I suspect it won't help very much). Have you tried increasing your latency settings or mixing down some tracks?

dachay2tnr said:
Options > Audio > Advanced > Apply Dither.

Actually.... it's Tools > Change Audio Format > New Bit Depth "16 bits" and make sure dither is checked.

But as Dachay said... I would suggest NOT doing this and try experimenting with your latency settings or even better take a few tracks that have reverbs or delays on them, clone them, archive the origional, then apply the effect the other track.... VWALLAAH!!!! .... you've freed up a shitload of resources!

ls

i agree. destructive editing is not the way to go. if you get a newer/faster computer next year, you'll wish you'd kept the 24bit recording.

If you use Folder-Per-Project it's easy to make a backup of all files, then try to change bitdepth.

Back