Distribution of Traps

Perceptes

Hiya,

I am trying to decide how I want to position bass traps and absorbers in my bedroom studio. This image on the realtraps.com website shows a general guideline for bass trap distribution:

http://www.realtraps.com/placing_mt.gif

What I'm looking for is something similar but for placement of absorbers, or even better, one that shows a good distribution of all types (deep and high bass and mid/high absorbers) within a small room.

Thoughts? References to things to read on this subject? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Perc,

> This image on the realtraps.com website shows a general guideline for bass trap distribution <

Yes, that information is valid for MiniTraps, but it's not the same as the advice for the three trap types I describe in my article about panel traps.

Since you refer to "deep and high bass traps" and mid/high absorbers you must be referring to my article from Electronic Musician. Trap placement is described in the article, basically suggesting that you build them onto the walls in an alternating pattern that goes all around the room. Was the explanation in my article not clear? If you're still unsure of where to put them, let me know what part you don't understand.

--Ethan

Thanks, Ethan. I have been reading several of your articles/guides back and forth and am probably mixing them up quite a bit. I understand the general concepts of placement and such, but I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to do it in my room. I don't have the money to make enough traps to cover all the walls, so am trying to decide a strategic placement that would work best. There are a few oddities in my room that I'm not quite sure what to do about. I may post a diagram of the room like I noticed someone else do on this board.

Again, thanks for your help and all your incredibly useful articles. Even if I don't do this right, I have learned an incredible amount. :)

Perc,

> I don't have the money to make enough traps to cover all the walls <

If you're on a tight budget, you won't go wrong with thick, dense, rigid fiberglass panels straddling as many room corners as you can afford.

--Ethan

Ethan Winer said:
Perc,

> I don't have the money to make enough traps to cover all the walls <

If you're on a tight budget, you won't go wrong with thick, dense, rigid fiberglass panels straddling as many room corners as you can afford.

--Ethan

Ethan,

Am I correct in assuming from this quote that you want to place panel at meeting wall (corners) before you would put them say, in the middle of the wall??

Thanks Ethan

Tony,

> Am I correct in assuming from this quote that you want to place panel at meeting wall (corners) before you would put them say, in the middle of the wall?? <

You need both, for different reasons. For example, corner placement is best for bass trapping, but it does nothing for the first reflection points.

--Ethan

Back