Distressed over the mic poll!

MikeDMusic

After veiwing the poll on everybody's collection of microphones I noticed that there were few to no Shure KSM 44's in the mix. Just about everyone had at least a few Sm57's and an sm58 or two. I hear wonderful things about the 44 mic but it seems like nobody actually uses one. What's the deal? Is there something bette that is out there for cheaper? I know mics are a very personal thing and all...but I saw a lot of MXL's and lots of AKG's and Rode NT1's. Why is it that NOBODY owns and uses a KSM 44? I need want to use it as my primary LDC on mostly singer/songwriter stuff with vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, drums, live strings, bass. Please help me out here before I go spending $700 on an over rated microphone. Thanks a lot.

I think it's mainly due to the price tag - this is Home Recording, after all. Not everyone has a surplus of cash to satisfy their gear lust. I've heard lots of great things about that mic, though.

The KSM series mics in general, and the KSM-44 in particular, have been discussed on this board many, many times. Try a search for "KSM-44" and "KSM44" and I'm sure you'll find MANY discussions of this mic. I don't think I've ever heard a bad word about them.

I agree with MadAudio. The reason that more people don't own them around this board is that many here find the Studio Projects and MXL mics to fit better in their budget. But, I don't think there is anybody that wouldn't mind having a KSM-44 (or two) around the studio.

Brad

You got that right, chessrock. The most expensive mic I've bought so far was the V69M, and I paid in installments, LOL!

Everyone else has nailed it.

MXL V67g & Studio Projects B1= $100, Rode NT1 = $200

vs.

Shure KSM44 = $700, AKGC414 = $800, etc.

We do the best we can around here with what we have. :(

If you audition the 44 and it works for you, get it. When I save up enough bones for a nice multi-pattern LDC, it will be on my short list.

Also the KSM series is relatively new. Some, like me, acquire a lot of mics used, and you aren't going to find many used KSM-44s for sale (yet).

The 44's are nice mics..I have used them alot!Very nice on solo acoustic guitar,I have had some good luck on vocals with them to change up between lead and backing..Also I've used them on drum overheads and sometimes a room mic,used one on string bass too..For me they take the space that a U87 would..kinda a "catch all mic" for me..Ya gotta try one yourself to see if it fits your criteria sonicly..Good luck :)

AGCurry said:
Also the KSM series is relatively new. Some, like me, acquire a lot of mics used, and you aren't going to find many used KSM-44s for sale (yet).

I found one on ebay. I think it cost me about US$450. Mind you, as an Australian buyer, even after customs, the buying price was heaps cheaper than it would cost to buy in Australia (about $1000 US).

So for you American guys and gals, it was less expensive than the retail, but not *that* much less expensive, and the original owner kept the case (but did include the shockmount).

I think it's a good mic - sounds significantly better on acoustic guitar than my Rode NT1000. The jury is still out on the question of whether it sounds really good on my voice. I'm getting a Sebatron soon to replace my DMP3, and I'll be interested to see how it sounds then.

chessrock said:
If anyone here wasn't completely piss-poor, we'd all be hangin' at gearslutz. :D

Haha good one and so true. I will say that I do check out the other 2 boards (GS and rec.org, always glad to hear of others) but I keep coming back to the mic board here. I just like this place better.

Back