Distortion pedal for a mesa boogie F50 amp

I'm with Rickson on this one. If I were you, I'd just stick with the Boogie Distortion. I would pretty much say that any pedal is not even going to come close to that. I think you'd just be dissapointed.

Tube Screamers are used to boost the distortion channel a bit, and you can use it on the clean channel as well, if you want. What kind of sounds are you looking for? That really makes the biggest difference on what kind of pedal you get. I know you play black/death metal, but is there anything more specific that you are looking for?

see. My tastes are a lot differnt than most it seems. I like digital distortion. Whereas everyone here hates it. I do of course like my mesa distortion too. I just am looking for a wider range of sounds. I like bands like summoning, emperor, mithotyn, and burzum. I'm just having a hard time finding a tone I really like. I can get a lot of good tones and tones I like for other genres. But for a good black metal tone, nothing seems to have stuck out yet. Any advice? I have two 57's, and a E609s. I've tried the 609 and 57 combo and seem to like that best. I'm just stuck. Maybe I just need a break from trying to get a good tone. Everything I do now sounds like garbage to me. I think a break is in order and when I come back it'll sound good to my ears. Has this happened to anyone else?

What?

Thats a sad statement for Mesa if you can't tweak that amps distortion to suit your taste. You just dropped nearly a grand on that amp and now you want to stick a $39 distortion pedal in front?

I just spent less than $400 on a new Peavey all tube amp and can find many useable sounds from the amps distortion. All my pedals are already sold on ebay.

I think I really need a break from it. Like I said, right now everything I do sounds like garbage to me. This happens to me from time to time. When I hear my amp live I like the sound a lot though. I guess I need to work on my mic placement,etc. I recently put my amp in my closet with a lot of padding in there, this way I don't disturb everyone in my house and can really crank it. Do you think this will really hurt the sound though?

listening to it now, I like it haha. I think im just going crazy. I've been obsessed with getting a good tone, and I think I need to rest my ears.

For a Death Metal tone

ericlingus said:
listening to it now, I like it haha. I think im just going crazy. I've been obsessed with getting a good tone, and I think I need to rest my ears.

That sounds pretty phat to me!!

thanks:) Like I said im sure it's just my ears tiring out. I'll post another clip with the E609s later on. I think it sounds even phatter :)

Please dude, you finally did something right, so please, do go fuck it up. Just tweak your amp till you get the distortion you want. If you have to have a pedal I'd recommend just layering the pedal sound in with the dominant Mesa distortion. That way you'll have great tube break up with a splash of that digital sound you like. Also remember that tube amps tend to need to be cranked to get a good sound.

well that's what I intended to do. Mix the pedal with the amp distortion when I record. Did you hear the sound clip? What do you think of it?

also, how loud should I crank my amp? I crank it pretty damn loud. At leat it's loud to me. I crank it to about 1/5 of the way up. It gets real loud, loud enough for everyone in the whole house to complain haha. I mean the floor is shaking and everything. I have my mic pre gain on about half way.

tourettes5139 said:
I'm with Rickson on this one. If I were you, I'd just stick with the Boogie Distortion. I would pretty much say that any pedal is not even going to come close to that. I think you'd just be dissapointed.

Tube Screamers are used to boost the distortion channel a bit, and you can use it on the clean channel as well, if you want. What kind of sounds are you looking for? That really makes the biggest difference on what kind of pedal you get. I know you play black/death metal, but is there anything more specific that you are looking for?
i totally agree,

the only thing you could really do is add to the boogie distortion. Most distortion pedals by themselves are going to sound thin unless you step up to something in a rack like a boogie triaxis.

I think that the final volume of your amp will depend on how much power it takes to really get your power tubes cooking and your speaker moving. However loud it needs to be to make those things happen. which, as I understand from the efficiency of Mesa amps, can be pretty damn loud. Even a 50-watt tube amp can be blisteringly loud.

Try really cranking it up one day when you're home alone and its not the middle of the night (neighbors get cranky about that sort of stuff). Get that master volume up to about 3 o'clock and back way off on your preamp gain, and slowly add preamp gain until you get to a sound you like. You might even want to wear earplugs or monitor thru a microphone and headphones that have at least some isolation.

E, you should find some place you can turn your amp up all the way. A practice studio, friend's garage, anywhere. If you like black metal and have a F-50 Mesa volume is your friend. There is nothing like the feeling of your amps opened wide and roaring. Except your amps opened wide and roaring in front of a crowd.

my headphones help muffle the sound a lot. I put my amp in the closet which really really helps. I could also go out of my room and shut the door to record, so my amp is in a separate room and inside a closet in that room. Then my ears should have no problems. But damn 3 o clock! That'll like shake my whole fucking house. I didn't realize you should crank them THAT much. I'll have to try it some time.

You have enough distortion.......try bringing up the mids and the bass to get a little more meat......btw....crank the amp up!!!!

Back