distortion on drums

There's a generality that, for a given volume, a distorted version can seem louder than a clean one. Smooth distortion would be one thing (like toob-softening), but when it's sort of modulating of grinding, thats a whole nother take. What were you going for?
Sometimes you hear rhythm tracks breaking up during crescendos on earlier analog recordings- like tape overload? Sounds cool.
There's a cut on ZZ Top's Rhytmine (spell?) where the guitar sounds like it's cutting out, like the speaker is about to lose it- Can't get any louder than that!

Ed has told me ppl use distortion on snare to get the sound he gets WITHOUT distortion.. :D :D :D
The POD is supposed to do that job good.

Hey, I just remembered, one of the reasons I took a chance on the Blue Toob was to try as a soft limiter for snare. But as I recall, the sound was just too mooshy and dull (maybe that's why I frogot about it. hmm..) Anyway, maybe on a durm sub-mix, brought up on seperate track along with the originals, we could get it to grind a little, but without screwing up the fidelity?
Any one tried something like that?
Oh ya, the Blue toob can't do line level, damnit. Maybe some other box?
See ya.

I add distortion to the snare every now and then to give it more crunch.
I blend it in with the clean snare and add tiny bits untill I get what I want.
Sometimes I'll add it to the OH's as well.

Thank you so far...

I'll try to make myself clear: The drummer of my band and I have been thinking about distorting the kick and the toms during mixdown to use it as an effect, not just to give it a crunchy sound. Think Kravitz as an example. I think he uses it quite often to achieve a sort of analog sound.

David

vice verse!

Do any of you know how to do the opposite to make a distroted semi cracleing type drums, sound more clean and not distorted, thanks!

Sometimes I heavily distort the drums to give a really industrial sound. It makes it sound as if they were sampled. A lot of bands do this- see NIN "happiness in slavery". Sometimes it sound better though with a little overdrive - the drums sound like real drums but with more attitude and punch.

Back