distortion after mixdown

skami97

so far everything i have learned on these forums have been a great deal of help to me ...thanks all.....now another hurdle!

using layla 20 with cep...i get all my tracks recorded...go thru the whole deal...(compression,eq, noise, etc...) now when i mix all my tracks down...in order to bring my "level" up i use the hard limiter to bring it up to -2db and boost by 5...then here is the problem...i get distortion, and breakup. the compression im using is no more than 2:1 peak on drums and bass guitar and the setting for (vocal compressor...great) for vocals..i dont want to give up compression because it gives "punch" to recordings but yet need to achieve an overall "perfect" volume...any and all help is appreciated...thanks

gidge, ..no..if i dont use it ...no distortion but on the same hand if i go back and "undo " all the compression and then the limiter....i also get no distortion.....basically..when i undo one...or the other..i dont get distortion...thanks

what compressor are you using? What limiter are you using?
Either your settings are wrong, or your gear is arguing with each other.

Hard limiting is something I would only use in a very extreme case, meaning hardly ever and only as a last resort. NOT to be used as a standard.

sjoko2: im using the compressor in cep....at 2:1 on each individual track..(bass, drums) and vocal compressor inside cep also...and the limiter also...from cep...basically im not using any outboard devices...so...now how do i get the "max' volume w/o clipping by not using the limiter...i hope im explaining this properly...thanks

I don't know those limiters or compressors, never heard them.
But it sounds like they are just not very good skami :(
Just use them very sparingly. Never use a limiter untill you have maximised the potential of the track without the limiter.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!...i just returned from the music store...i know the guy up there...(actually he has alot of my monie)lol...he let me borrow a "comp/limiter"...this way i can try them ...and see what happens before i record into cep..i though maybe that being compressed..or limited...during recording would be easier to control rather than after the fact...im willing to live and learn and the wife thinks its funny when i scream....so will see what happens...thanks again

Take your time and concentrate on recording things right, at the right levels. That will save a lot of the need for compression and especially limiting.

will do:...actually..im going to just destroy the whole thing...not that im giving up...but im gonna start with a clean slate..its easier to start over than to try to remember what i did and didnt do..this way everything will be somewhat "listened to"more carefully..just received in the mail...(3 days ago) a mag called electronic musician..why i didnt read is beyond me...but while taking a break i look at it to find an article called staying out of the red.....basically tells about keeping the "same level' thru out effects,preamps,comps, etc:..just as you have stated.so thanks for all the help...although this project will never be heard on the radio....but for my own satisfaction i will take more time and in the end i can say..i did it...

Cool, when you are done post something in the clinic. Making music takes time, I'm always amazed that soem "homers" do thingsa a lot faster then I do....... and then moan they do not get the same result.

Back