Distorted Recording

Zeekle

I have Cubase conected to a Tascam 788 recorder. What I want to do is record a track off the recorder into Cubase. On playback I get an excellent undistorted signal, but when I push record, the signal becomes distorted. Any ideas on why this would happen?? Any help appreciated.
Cheers
Zeek

This would have to do with your gain staging. You are most likely recording to hot of a signal and causing digital clipping.
If you are using a standard soundcard or pro, for that matter, don't use a Mic Input unless it is designed to accept line level signals as well.
Pay close attention to the input VU meter to be certain that your level isn't going over 0db. Try and keep the peaks between -6db and -3db. You can safely go a little lower with a 24bit soundcard.

Thanks... the gain is OK, reads lower than -6db on the meter. When I'm monitoring I get no distortion, only when I push record. Even then the meter still does not show any clipping has occured or is occuring.
I've used line outs to line ins, also tried S/PDIF out to S/PDIF in with the same result.
This is a method I've used before with a good result but now??

Something could be really wrong with your sample buffer. If you set a buffer size way too small for you computer/soundcard to handle, that can create a whole lot of mess. Try searching where you can set the sample buffer, and set it higher (higher means more latency, but also more chance of undistorted I/O).

Thanks, will try that. Latency is not a problem as once the track is recorded, I can edit etc on cubase without being sync'd to the Tascam

Back