distorted guitar HELP!

punkorama

Ok guys heres whats up....since ive been recording (around 6 months) ive never been happy with my dis. guitar tracks. the guitar and half stack sound great live but when micing it doesn't meet up to my standards. THe sound becomes foggy and thin. Ive tried many combinations with the gains and highs... mids...and low. also with my placement(best results so far with Sm57). if anyone could help me get a nice clear sound that doesn't sound like knife in ur ear, i would be very happy. Thanks
Mike

some eq tweaking in the mixer could help out along with some tweaking from eq in the amp, but i think the fault is with the mic, since its not fully recording the real sound

There are usually a bunch of threads like this in the recording techniques forum towards the bottom of the page. Nice to know about other skaddicts ;) . Keep up the good work!

Alot of people have that same problem......

First off, Instead of having your Amp's EQ like All High, No Mid, and Lots of Low, Change to having about 6-7 on the mids.......It might not sound good to your ear, but through the mic, it should sound good......

Also, when you record the guitar, being distortion, Record one track of guitar and pan it to the left....then play the exact same thing again and pan that to the right...... It will give you a nice FULL sound...... Many PRO Studios have you do that.........

Yea, the double-take-and-pan-left-and-right trick usually works the best.

It sounds like you're capturing a lot of the room's ambience. Either make an enclosure for the cab, or put it in a closet. Kind of a pain in the ass for a half-stack, but worth it in the end.

Again, look through these forums a bit and you'll find many posts regarding this. Also, google is your friend :D

fivesixonesk8er said:
Alot of people have that same problem......

First off, Instead of having your Amp's EQ like All High, No Mid, and Lots of Low, Change to having about 6-7 on the mids.......It might not sound good to your ear, but through the mic, it should sound good......

Also, when you record the guitar, being distortion, Record one track of guitar and pan it to the left....then play the exact same thing again and pan that to the right...... It will give you a nice FULL sound...... Many PRO Studios have you do that.........
I hooked up my two Marshall cabinets and put them 90-degrees against each other facing into the wall. If this is cabinet A "/" and this is cabinet B "\" and this is the wall "_". I did this "/_\" Keep in mind that the wall also had some acoustic foam on it.

I put a direct mic really close to one speaker (I was using an SM57 at the time). I then put a condenser mic in the middle between the two cabinets.

I would record one take through both mics. I think I panned the condenser mic hard left, and panned the directional mic 20-30% right. Then I did another take and panned the condenser hard right and the directional 20-30% left.

THAT was a damn thick sound. Your mileage may vary though. :)

Back