Distance between monitors?

Squashboy

Two questions:

1) How far apart should your monitors be when you set up your studio? Or does it not really matter? (Obviously, it does, I know. But does it matter how far?)

2) The Tannoy reveal (bi-amplified) monitors are in a Kung Fu fight against the Event 20/20 (also bi-amplified).....who wins?

Thanks all.

Squashboy

Two answers:

1) Download manuals from www.alesis.com or www.event1.com on monitors (placement) they will tell you about a triangle.

2) It doesn't really matter who wins. If you are shopping for monitors first set a budget and then listen to your ears.

Cheers
BigBee

Usually you want an equalateral triangle between you and both monitors.
there are a lot of factors involved with room acoustics as well, in the placement of your monitors within your "control room"

and uhhh, in my monitor king-fu movie the genelec 1031 comes in with a flame thrower.

With near field monitors, the triangle described above should be between 3 and 4 feet. Meaning, 3-4 feet between the speakers, and 3-4 feet between your ears and the speakers.

While they are a fine monitoring system, the 1031's have a sort of harsh high end which when I sat in on mastering sessions at a couple of studios that used, made you think you needed to start cutting high's with the eq. The Events are much smoother up there, and tend to make you want to enhance them a bit, which translates much better into real life. Overall, I would say that the Event translate better then just about any monitoring system I have used and/or heard. Many other engineers I know around my parts are starting to agree with me on this after using both.

Ed

Yo SquashBoy:

Vegetables??

You can experiment a bit by placing your monitors a bit away from a wall, to placing them quite a bit away from the wall. Triangle configuration sounds very professional.

Ed, thanks for the remarks about the Event monitors; I think I might go for a pair of those since I don't think much of my Alesis I monitors -- I also have Infinities plugged in but my friend, Jorge, a high-fi buff, calls them, "budget" speakers. Alas, the money war goes on.

Green Hornet

In my fight with active studio monitors the winner was a pair of Genelec 1030A's.

All I can say about them is that they sound awesome.

But of course they suit best for me and some other speakers might suit you better...

Correction to my previous comment:
With awesome sound I mean accurate and flat frequency response, good dynamic range and crystal clear natural sound.

Personally, I've found that if you mix with the monitors too far apart it weakens the stereo image in the center which may cause the instruments you've panned towards the center to sound too loud when played back on other systems. Also, it seems like placing the monitors too near the wall enhances the bass which could make the final mix sound lacking in bass on other speakers that aren't placed the same way. But that's just me.

Back