dissertaion on home recording

jimmyc

hey guys, Im doing my dissertaion on home recording on a budget, If anyone could complete this questionaire for me it would be really helpfull!! email me theguywiththebighat@hotmail.com

Why did u decide to set up a home recording studio??

What was you budget when you started?

What Does your studio consist of?

What problems have you encoutered when recording?

What equipment would you recomend to someone setting up a home studio?

is there any peice of gear you regret buying?

Whats next in the pipeline for you studio?

jimmyc said:

Because I'm a sadist

When I started? :D About $1000, but that keeps on changing. I swear, just one more piece of gear, and that's it ! !

Me and a shit load of living, breathing cords. At least I'm assuming they're alive, because whenever I'm not looking, they all start mating like snakes . . . whenever you try and sort them out/ separate them, you'll notice they're all tangled and contorted together unnaturally, and it's nearly impossible to separte them.

I never have enough money for the gear I want, and no one pays me enough for my work to justify purchasing them.

You mean aside from Prosac or Zoloft?

Are you crazy? I don't regret any of it . . . like I said, I'm just "one piece of gear away" from the ultimate studio, and I swear, that's it after that! :D

Chapter 11

jimmyc said:
hey guys, Im doing my dissertaion on home recording on a budget, If anyone could complete this questionaire for me it would be really helpfull!! email me theguywiththebighat@hotmail.com

Just a question of my own in return for filling out your questionaire:

Is this disspermation for your doctoral feces?

Q: Why did u decide to set up a home recording studio??
A: To record music with limited public appeal, that could only be produced with a computer.

Q: What was you budget when you started?
A: It was entirely open-ended. Whatever it took, within the restraints of my disposable cash flow.

Q: What Does your studio consist of?
A: Instruments, computers, software, recording interfaces, microphones, cabling, mixer, preamps, amps, monitors, effects units, CD players, CD recorders, tapedecks and lots of media!

Q: What problems have you encoutered when recording?
A: Mostly the problem is the nut behind the wheel.

Q: What equipment would you recomend to someone setting up a home studio?
A: I'd recommend getting everything you need to do the job.

Q: is there any peice of gear you regret buying?
A: AKG K-40 headphones

Q: Whats next in the pipeline for you studio?
A: Same as it has been for years- The Axon Neural Net Guitar to MIDI converter.

Last edited:
Re: Re: dissertaion on home recording

drstawl said:
Just a question of my own in return for filling out your questionaire:

Q: Why did u decide to set up a home recording studio??
A: To record music with limited public appeal, that could only be produced with a computer.

Q: What was you budget when you started?
A: It was entirely open-ended. Whatever it took, within the restraints of my disposable cash flow.

Q: What Does your studio consist of?
A: Instruments, computers, software, recording interfaces, microphones, cabling, mixer, preamps, amps, monitors, effects units, CD players, CD recorders, tapedecks and lots of media!

Q: What problems have you encoutered when recording?
A: Mostly the problem is the nut behind the wheel.

Q: What equipment would you recomend to someone setting up a home studio?
A: I'd recommend getting everything you need to do the job.

Q: is there any peice of gear you regret buying?
A: AKG K-40 headphones

Q: Whats next in the pipeline for you studio?
A: Same as it has been for years- The Axon Neural Net Guitar to MIDI converter.
Yup. What he said. Except for the headphones thing. I like all my toys.

Re: Re: dissertaion on home recording

drstawl said:

My doctor never does anything like that:(
And why, I ask you, why would a cute doctor like mine, with a lovely figure, a glorious smile, warm hands and perky gazonkers disspermatize me and after that ruin the mood of the moment by dumping the results on a pile of fresh excretia?:confused:

I've always recorded at home, actually setting aside a room and getting decent mics, building diffusors etc.. is all a matter of time and availablity.

not really aplpicable, but I would say in the hundreds as apposed to thousands

aside from instruments...
cheap mixer with pres
one dynamic mic, one condensor mic
tracking headphones
Old (decent) stereo for monitoring
home built sound diffusors
basic tracking, sequencing and editing software (and pc of source)
edirol "almost monitors" pc desktop speakers

Early reflections and bad reverb from the room. Differences is room eq versus tracked eq.

A condensor mic for vocals and accoustical instruments. A decent set of headphones for tracking and near field monitors for mixing. If you are sequnencing at all buy some good samples.

My Behringer 802a (cheap mixing board), I would have just bought standalone pres were I to do it again. Start with one, buy more later.

Not sure, could be...
-a decent pre with a built in compressor and low cut filter.
-some fancy "mastering" software or plugins.
-a real bass
-some real accoustical panels

"Q: is there any peice of gear you regret buying?
A: AKG K-40 headphones"

heh, I've got a pair of 44s, they really suck, almost useless for tracking or production. I still find it handy to have a pair of shitty headphones around at times. They live on the computer desk now and their replacements are in the studio.

Funny. I was just thinking about this kind of stuff the other day.

While I emailed my response directly, I thought I'd paste it here, too, for the sake of having a thread other people might read.

-Chris

Q) Why did u decide to set up a home recording studio??

I was 15 years old and had started writing my own songs on guitar. Its much easier to listen critically to songs as you work on them if you can hear them without having to play them, too. There is also no easy way to try different arrangements and write harmony parts without being able to record one thing at a time. I experiemented with using 2 tape recorders, but eventually it became obvious that I needed something dedicated to multitrack recording or I would get little further as a solo songwriter and arranger.

Q) What was your budget when you started?

I bought a Tascam Porta 02 High Speed 4-track cassette recorder and some cheap mic that I can't remember. It was the cheapest thing I could find at the time that was fairly full featured, so it dictated my budget. Including the mic, stand and cable, it was about $900 at the time.

Best $900 I ever spent: I used that box for over 12 years with only 1 $50 servicing of the record heads.

Q) What Does your studio consist of?

Now? 15 years later, I've accumulated quite a bit and use it semi-professionally in audio production and video post production. I also continue to use it to record my own songs, as well as recording others and teaching others how to record.

Main Recording Systems:
- vpr Matrix P4 2gig widescreen laptop
- Digidesign Digi002 Firewire audio interface
- Weibetech 80Gig firewire harddrive
- Event PS6 powered monitors
- Pro Tools 5.3.2 and a small host of plugins
- Cubase SX and a small host of plugins

Outboard Gear:
- ART Dual MP Tube preamp and DI box.
- FMR Audio RNC compressor
- (2) Art Tube EQ
- dbx 166a 2 channel compressor
- Roland JV-1010 MIDI sound module
- Studio Logic MIDI keyboard controller
- Tascam US-428 USB control surface and preamp
- M-audio Duo USB and standalone 2 channel preamp
- Alesis Studio24 16 channel mixer

Microphones:
- Groove Tubes 5sm
- (2) AKG c1000s
- (2) Shure SM57
- (2) Studio Projects C1
- (2) MXL 603s
- (2) Octava mk319
- (2) Behringer ECM8000
- (2) Nacy SCM900

Moth-balled stuff:
- I still have the old Tascam. About to give it away.
- Digitech MM-4: ANCIENT digital guitar processor. Sounds like crap, but I used it for years as a reverb send with the 4-track.
- Korg DDD-something. An old MIDI drum machine. I'm still surprised at how good this thing sounded, but it doesn't compare to the velocity and expressive control I have with the computer sequenced drum tracks.

Q) What problems have you encoutered when recording?

Good question. Its a long learning journey figuring out how your skills and your equipment interact to produce a quality recording. I spent a LOT of time trying to make the equipment I had sound as good as I could before deciding to buy another piece of equipment. (about as long as it took to research what I wanted and save the money up for it.)

The problem is that there is SO MUCH equipment availible today that its really easy to buy something hopeing IT will make your recording sound better wihtout spending the time to increase your skills to the point where that might actually be true.

For example, if your micing technique isn't up to par, buying a better mic won't substantially increase the quality of your recordings. On the other hand, if you do spend the time on your skills and get to the point where you understand what your mics are and are not capable of, you can make a much more informed purchase of your next mic and actually achieve the sounds you are looking for.

In short, its easy to spend a lot of money and not get a lot of mileage from it if you do not also spend the time.

Q) What equipment would you recomend to someone setting up a home studio?

Antoher good question. I REALLY value my years using the cassette 4-track, learning the basics of the recording process, and slowly upgrading my gear and hardware as I learned how to use it. While computer recording is FAR cheaper and cost effective these days, I've found that people who START on the computer don't alwyas have the same grasp of the recording process and it can take them longer to get up to speed.

Computers also add a whole layer of complexity that has nothing to do with recording. If you prepared to be a computer geek that can be really frustrating.

With all that in mind, I recommend that a person just starting out new in recording get an inexpensive stand-alone recorder (cassette or digital) and 1 good dynamic mic (Shure SM57). The recorder should include at least 1 or 2 hardware effects sends, and have inserts on 1 or 2 channels, if possible. That will give a beginner all the hardware options they need to really get the recording and mixing proces at its basics before shelling out big cash on a higher quality system they won't understand anyway.

Q) Is there any peice of gear you regret buying?

Not really. There are several pieces of gear I don't really use anymore, and a few pieces that I hardly used at all, but each piece was part of the learning process and, since I haven't gotten rid of them, I have the option to use them if the need arrises.

For example, I almost sold my 2 Eq's. They aren't the greatest units and I hardly used them before I jumped from the 4-track to recording on my computer. I've thought about selling them many times. Now, though, I'm finding that I might want to send my digitally recorded tracks out to my analog mixer and those EQ's might come in handy after all! After years of gathering dust, I'm still glad that I have them.

Q) Whats next in the pipeline for you studio?

2 ADAT XT20's. I'm finding that I want to get audio tracks OUT of the computer individually and I need to expand on the analog outs on the Digi002- the cheapest way is to use the convertors on an ADAT. By getting 2, it gives me additional options: a) backing up my Pro Tools tracks to 16tracks of ADAT tape, and b) doing remote recordings without having to cart around the expensive and somewhat fragile Digi002.

Next in line after that is a single channel, high quality preamp. I'm still learning what the pres on the Digi002 are capable of and they sound great so far, but I've zero'd in on my lead vocal and mono instrument tracks as a potential weak links. Instead of buy another mic, I thought I start with seeing how the mics I have react to high quality preamplification.

Pro Tools 6 is also in the pipeline, but I don't think I'll upgrade immediately unless digi gives me a good price incentive. Why fix it if it ain't broke?

jimmyc said:

I tried HR with a Portastudio back in the early 80's, but couldn't get anywhere near the result I was seeking at the time. The resources that are available today just didn't exist in a form that I could find and apply in a manner that would take me where I wanted to go. Plus, I guess I just didn't have that "burning desire".:D

Flash forward to the mid-90's. Computers are getting to be pretty common, and useable enough for morons like me. I spent about 3 years researching different options, and because I was married and on a budget I settled on an HP puter and put an SBLive in it with CW Home Studio. Fiddled around with that for a bit but now had to learn the computer on top of recording technique.

In 99 the wife decided she didn't want to be a wife (to me, anyway) and told me "get a life". Couple trips to Guitar center later I had about $5000 invested in a new Dell puter/monitor, and a bunch of audio goodies. She about shit when I brought all that stuff home.

Hi honey........... just came back from buying my "life".

Also, I figured if I had recording stuff here and was actively playing music A LOT (boy was I confused on that point) that my kids would get the music bug too. That part hasn't happened yet. But there's still plenty of time for that. Besides, if I'm gonna buy D-28's they're gonna be for DAD!

Open-ended. As all good budgets are.:D I guess I prolly blow between $1000-$2000/year on this craziness. I've been off work a year so that kinda fucked this years budget. Plus, Davisound just raised all of his prices.:(

Dell XPS T500 with dual drives
Sony 19" monitor
Echo Darla 20 soundcard
JoeMeek VC6Q
Lexicon MPX-1
Roland SDE 1000
Event Tria Monitors
Mackie 1402 board
Roland U-20 keys
Roland JV 1010 synth module
MIDIMAN MIDISport 2x2 (need to break down and get an 8x8 someday.)
AKG C-3000
RODE NT-2
RODE NTV
BLUE Cactus
Misc BLUE, Monster, and "other" cables
Martin D-35L
Martin D-45L Custom
Martin 1947 Model "A" Mando converted to Lefty
Gibson SG Lefty
Fender P-Bass Lefty
c. 1970-71 Fender Twin (Silverface w/Master Volume)
Original Mutron and Morley analog FX pedals from very early 80's

I've never been into the whole "buy/sell" gear. I buy something that I KNOW will do the job, and stick with it.

What problems have you encoutered when recording?[B/]

ROOM NOISE!!!! That was item number 1 from the first time I fired a LD condensor in my living room. It's taken 4 years but I'm finally fixing that problem now, with 4- 42" wide x 90" tall x 6" deep gobos. One panel will have slot resonators, and be 8 inches deep to accomodate resonators on dowels that can be adjusted for depth and width of slat gap. Been working on these about a month or so. Could turn into a side biz if I had more space to work in.

Next would be computer config problems. Having trouble right now because the Dell P3 500 just doesn't seem to have enough horsepower to write to the slave drive behind the master. It's been suggested to me to get both drives on different busses to speed things up. When the gobos are done (in prolly a month!) I'll try that out.

Buy the best you can afford from the start. Like Ed says, "buy cheap, buy twice". I would never recommend someone start with an SBLive card, or anything like that. Get good converters and a good software program and run it on the biggest, baddest puter you can find. Get good-quality mics AND STANDS AND CABLES! That's not the place to go cheap! Buy high-gain/low noise pres, and stay away from "tewb" stuff unless you just want that as an effect. For your main "pre" buy the VERY BEST you can afford.

Also, I would suggest ANYBODY trying to record at home to take a very close look at their room BEFORE they take the plunge and figure out HOW they are gonna treat the room and HOW MUCH THAT'S GONNA COST.

My goal may be different than other's. I'm trying to make the most PROFESSIONAL-SOUNDING recording I can in my living room. And it ain't a great-sounding room to begin with.:(

I've never really been disappointed by any gear I've bought. I've made some purchases (years and years ago) where I really hadn't educated myself enough but those experiences taught me to read and learn as much as possible befor whipping out the bread.

After the gobos are done I would like to get at least a couple channels of really high-end pres. Then Lucid converters would be nice, and a new computer of course. Then maybe more room treatments for behind my monitors, hardwood floors in my room, it just goes on and on. This is one of those "never-ending" projects. I read stuff every day that I want to try. Anything that can dial this in tighter and tighter is open for consideration.

My very next project is to build an F-style mandolin under the supervision of a local luthier. Class starts June 16 and meets twice a week for 14 weeks. I saw the instruments the last class built and they came out beautiful. I'm very excited about this, a little apprehensive, too. But I love working with my hands and see this as an opportunity to learn a new craft that maybe can support me in my old age.:)

Q. Why did u decide to set up a home recording studio??
A. We had recorded a CD in a semi-pro studio. We spent $3000 and weren't thrilled with the results. Figured that rather than do it again, we could invest the $3000 in recording gear and get at least an equivalent product.

Q. What was you budget when you started?
A. About $4000, $2K for computer, $800 for mixer, $600 for sound card, rest for software, headphones and cables. (I already owned some SM57/58 mics). Since then I've added more memory and a second HD, bought a condeser mic, an outboard compressor and a headphone amp. Would also like to get a good preamp.

Q. What Does your studio consist of?
A. See above.

Q. What problems have you encoutered when recording?
A. Besides the initial learning curve to operate this stuff, most problems are room related, since I'm presently recording in an unfinished, untreated basement. Things like room sound in the mix. Inability to isolate instruments while recording simultaneously.

Q. What equipment would you recomend to someone setting up a home studio?
A. Invest in decent equipment. Particularly mics, preamps and sound card if going with a PC based system

Q. is there any peice of gear you regret buying?
A. Nothing that comes to mind.

Q. Whats next in the pipeline for you studio?
A. Probably a preamp, or some good sampler software. [/B][/QUOTE]

Back