Displaying guitars at home, suggestions.

Easto

Rather than keep several of my guitars locked up in their cases I would like to start displaying them for my friends to see. My only problem is that I live in "earthquake" prone Southern California. Not only am I afraid of the damage that hanging them from the wall might do to the headstock I'm also worried about coming home after a earthquake or something along those lines and find them all laying on the floor (granted it would have to be a pretty big earthquake but still...).

With that said I'm guessing my only other choice is just to use a regular guitar stand on the floor? Any suggestions or have you seen anything out there that you would consider safe and sturdy for wall mounting that would not adversely effect my guitar's finish?

^^ Interesting ^^

Yes, I've seen those before but never for sale. I would be interested to find out if there is any reactive interaction between the rubber bumpers and a guitar's finish.

Yeah you gotta be careful with those cheap, ten dollar floor stands. The reaction left a nasty mark on a couple of really nice guitars of mine. If you're gonna use cheap floor stands, remove the rubber parts from the stand and rewrap with cotton cloth.

The wall hangers offer the best support for the guitar and the guitars also look best that way. Almost all of them are made with non-reactive rubber. Also, hanging on the wall keeps them above the fray and they're less likely to get kicked or knocked over or spilled on. If your place is dusty, like mine, it keeps them above most of the dust. I'm in SoCal too, so yes there's always the earthquake factor. Some of them have locks to hold them in place and if you're clever I'm sure u could rig something.

I wouldn't do it here (Northeast), the humidity changes too much. I can almost hear them drying out in the winter.

I've got a friend who's got a fine collection of guitars and he wanted to display them, so he got a couple of antique-y glass front cabinets and did them up.

Also allows you to keep the humidity under control if that's an issue and stop them being accidentally damaged.

I keep mine all locked up safe in their hard cases - leaving them out just means that when you want to play one of them, the strings are crap.

Good luck.

On display as nice as it is...I get paranoid that if all my guitars are on display that if a nasty robber comes in when I aint there.....hmmmmm......look at all those nice guitars there........I'll take that one....that one.....ahhhhh what the hell I'll take em all.

Silly I know but I always leave a couple of guitars hidden in there cases around the house....If the robber has a good look he might find them, but if he's in a hurry even though I'm insured he might leave me a couple of my irreplaceable axes.....I know I'm being paranoid......but.......are you stalking me.....I don't know you.....Who said that..........

:D :eek: :D :eek: :D :eek: :D :eek: :D :eek: :D :eek:

Maybe you could look at old gun cabinets and find something.

Couple hundred bucks on ebay. You could think it out and build a display wall with glass doors or something.

Back