Disk-Overload?

jay clarke

Hi there

I am still experiencing problems with cubase stuttering playback, and when I do an audio mixdown all of my VSTis are silent, I have noticed that when ever it stutters the performance indicator in the tool bar goes right up into the red on the disk overload bar.

My cubase is legitimate SX-3 btw, and my computer is good enough spec, 3GHZ processor and 3GB RAM!

Am I right in thinking I need to upgrade my harddisk to solve this problem? I have a 300GB External Hard Disk Drive but its USb Connection and im not sure it is one of the faster ones.

What would people reccomend me buying?

I thought USB was meant to be pretty fast, but I would advise using your inbuilt harddrive rather than an outboard harddrive.
Thats the only thing I can think is wrong, unless you have alot of programmes running in the background.

Check what programmes run automatically at start up and disable any you dont really need.

Eck

jay clarke said:
Hi there

I am still experiencing problems with cubase stuttering playback, and when I do an audio mixdown all of my VSTis are silent, I have noticed that when ever it stutters the performance indicator in the tool bar goes right up into the red on the disk overload bar.

My cubase is legitimate SX-3 btw, and my computer is good enough spec, 3GHZ processor and 3GB RAM!

Am I right in thinking I need to upgrade my harddisk to solve this problem? I have a 300GB External Hard Disk Drive but its USb Connection and im not sure it is one of the faster ones.

What would people reccomend me buying?
You need to get another internal hard drive and use it only for audio. In other words no programs on your second drive, just audio. That will solve 90% of your problems.

NYMorningstar said:
You need to get another internal hard drive and use it only for audio. In other words no programs on your second drive, just audio. That will solve 90% of your problems.
+1 to that. Also, you might want to check on your buffer settings for your interface. If it's stuttering make them a little larger, that will take some load off of your CPU.

its almost definately because you are working live with an external drive . use an internal drive to work with and an external drive for storage only :)

the fact that it's external should not be an issue if it's the only thing on the bus... ie: the interface isn't usb... the usb2 standard is 400 Mb/sec fast enough for " a few channels"... but it does need to be dedicated to your audio... ie:sx3 should be on the internal drive...

Well quite alot, I have like 8 Drum Mic audio files running, + 2 Bass tracks and a shit load of VSTis, though the VSTis are frozen so all in all I'd say about 18 tracks...

What is buffering, how do I change this on cubase or PC windows XP desktop?

I am currently defragging my 2nd internal Hard Disk.

My computer already has 2 internal hard drives, Im not sure if there is room for a third, or is there always. Also, would a 10k RPM HD be more likely to solve the overload problem then a slower one?

jay clarke said:
Well quite alot, I have like 8 Drum Mic audio files running, + 2 Bass tracks and a shit load of VSTis, though the VSTis are frozen so all in all I'd say about 18 tracks...
That's actually not a lot especially considering that only 10 are real audio tracks and the others are VSTI's.

Are you sure that it's your drive light peaking and not the cpu meter? I suspect it's the latter considering the small amount of real tracks.

"...shit load of VSTI's..." makes me think the latter. Freeze or render them and try again and report back.

What is buffering, how do I change this on cubase or PC windows XP desktop?
Devices / Device setup and look for your audio card. Click a button labeled "Control Panel" and set the buffers to 1024 or 2048 or as high as they will go.

Put them back later to 256 or lower before trying to play virtual instruments.

Back