Discosong i'm working on need help mixing!

Andreasl84

Hello!

Here is a disco song cover i'm working on atm...

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=B264D9F160255479

The things i feel myself when listening to this is its kinda muddy...especially the bass..It lacks something and i dont know what it is...If i should cut or boost..
I've sorta hooked up on the "bass" thingie maybe there is a LOT of other things not sounding like they should..If so tell me! and maybe some tips of what to do about it!
This is my first discosong mix ever pretty much so don't be tough on me guys!
Otherwise i would like to ask what you guys would put on the mastering for this type of track?
Right now i only have a parametric EQ in fruity loops that cuts everything under 30hz and then i'll have a L2 maximizer..
Thanks for taking your time listening to my stupid disco cover song if you do! :D

Andreasl84 said:
The things i feel myself when listening to this is its kinda muddy...especially the bass..It lacks something and i dont know what it is...If i should cut or boost..
I gave it a listen. First thing I'd do is find a tighter and puncher kick sample and accentuate the low side of the kick a bit. Keep the click of it down, but accentuate the punch in the 70-130Hz range, along with some slow attack, low reduction compression, if needed.

Also, because of the instrument selection overall, there sounds like there's a whole lot of energy in the high mids. I'd parametric sweep your individual tracks and look for the resonsnt frequecies that fall in the 2k - 4k range for each non-bass instrument. Notch filter or narrow Q EQ cuts on those frequencies in the lead tracks can help take out some of the energy in that range without adversely affecting it's character, shifting the tonal balance of the resulting mix more towards the low end.
Andreasl84 said:
Otherwise i would like to ask what you guys would put on the mastering for this type of track?
I wouldn't consider it ready for mastering yet. As mentioned above, I'd attack the problems in the tracks and in the mix. It's a lot easier to close the barn door while the horses are still inside than it is to try and corral and return the horses after they've escaped.

G.

Andreasl84 said:
Well it's been played on disco/pubs anyway...
What would you call it?
;)

Dunno mabe house but without the vox house generally has
some kinda Dance genre but Disco is Beegees or scissor sisters

Not giving out sorry if it seemed that way :( keep going at it any way

Good luck
-Josh

SouthSIDE Glen said:
I gave it a listen. First thing I'd do is find a tighter and puncher kick sample and accentuate the low side of the kick a bit. Keep the click of it down, but accentuate the punch in the 70-130Hz range, along with some slow attack, low reduction compression, if needed.

Also, because of the instrument selection overall, there sounds like there's a whole lot of energy in the high mids. I'd parametric sweep your individual tracks and look for the resonsnt frequecies that fall in the 2k - 4k range for each non-bass instrument. Notch filter or narrow Q EQ cuts on those frequencies in the lead tracks can help take out some of the energy in that range without adversely affecting it's character, shifting the tonal balance of the resulting mix more towards the low end.I wouldn't consider it ready for mastering yet. As mentioned above, I'd attack the problems in the tracks and in the mix. It's a lot easier to close the barn door while the horses are still inside than it is to try and corral and return the horses after they've escaped.

G.

Wow sounds like i have a lot to work on!
Kinda just what i wanted for answer...I have no studio monitors but maybe i'm possible to fix these things anyways..
Thanks for replying!

Back