disc error 03. help!

johnny j

i was recording vocals on track 2 on a song with no apparant problems. however, when i came to playback the song it stops at 27 seconds in and wont play or fast forward past that point. if i leave it in play position it will occaisonally stutter forward fractions of a second but essentially it seems to be stuck. ive managed to put a marker about 5 seconds after the stop point and i can now skip to that marker so it seems my problem area is approx 4 or 5 seconds long.

ive tried deleting all data from track 2 and ive tried recording new stuff onto track 2 but everytime it stops when it hits 27 secs in. ive also copied the whole song into a blank space and that will play but there are skips and jumps around the same point

what is a disc 03 error and what causes it? as i dont want to encounter this problem again. did i do something wrong or it is a fault on the data disc itself?
(i did encounter this problem once before a year ago but as it was on a non essential song i just deleted the song without any regret)

the song that has the problem now is essential! and i dont have a copy
the essential question is of course, can anything be doine to rectify the problem?

I would try another disc before you have it serviced.

MD ERROR CODES
Error Code Description
Disc Error 01 Recording Re-try Failure
Disc Error 02 Recording Data Overflow
Disc Error 03 PLAY Data Lack (to indicate data overflow during Recording)
Disc Error 10 Address Inconsistency during Recording
Disc Error 80 or 08 The magnetic head didn't drop into position.
Error 01 Sled (or laser unit) didn't move to the inside position.
Error 02 Sled didn't move to the outside position.
Error 04 The magnetic head didn't raise off of the disk.
Error 05 Spindle Error
Error 06 Focus Error
Error 07 Tracking Error
Error 08 The magnetic head does not search

Good luck
Pier

I own and have owned two Yamaha MD8 recorders and have encountered those disc error problems from time to time. Unfortunately, it sounds like there might be a problem with your disc and you may have to use a different disc and start over. I always try to have options open when encountering problems with these recorders. At one point, I had to ship my Yamaha to a repair service due to some problems I couldn't resolve with it. It took almost three months of not hearing anything before I called them up and it turned out that they just put it on a shelf and forgot about it! Needless to say, I was a little upset.
Anyway, I would say try a different MD Data disc if you have one, (preferably
a new one,) and see if the problem happens again. If not, then you know the problem is with your disc and not the recorder.
I still own a Yamaha MD8, but opted to buy a Fostex VF160 16 track recorder
because I found that it was easier to work with a 16 track machine rather than an 8 track. I realized that the Yamaha, even though it recorded beautifully, was limiting because of the amount of tracks it had to work with.
It's too bad you said that the material you recorded on the bad disc was irreplacable, but maybe you could play what material you had on the bad disc onto your computer, then re-record it on your Yamaha. Hope this helps.

Tunes68.

thanx for your help. i have managed to slightly repair the damage done.

i kept copying and moving the song to a blank area and eventually i got a version that played through the problem area. it stutters a bit and theres a couple of clicks and very high pitched squeaks and stuff, but at least it plays from start to end.

what causes an error 03? is it just a case of bad luck having a slight fault on the disc, or can it be caused by something. id been using this disc fior about a year with no problems up until this.now im nervous that two other songs on this disc could go the same way.

thanks in advance for your help

i see piers entry re errors that states

Disc Error 03 PLAY Data Lack (to indicate data overflow during Recording)

what cause a data overflow? can anyone suggest an example that could cause this?

tunes68

does the fostex you use record to itself (if you follow what i mean) or does it need to hook up to a DAT or similar?

Back