Disassemble a 57?

M.Brane

The end of my 57 is loose :mad: I could hear it rattling on a guitar track I just did. Don't know what happened. I haven't dropped it or used it as a hammer. I thought these were indestructable.:confused:

Ever take one apart? I'm pretty good with these kind of things but just wanted to check with you folks in case there is some wierd issue I should be wary of.

TIA

Unless somebody can tell you how to put the plastic cover back on safely, don't try taking it off! There is a little copper ring in there that compresses as you put the plastic cover on the mic. When you get it on all the way, the ring expands and locks the thing in place. It fits into the cover one way. I did it once a long time ago and its like a little puzzle.

Also, when the cover is off, the diaphragm is exposed. Its a delicate thing--a thin membrane with two microscopic wires going to the coil. Break one of those and the mic has to be rebuilt. I speak from experience.

If you could find a way to keep that cover from vibrating without taking it off, I'd go for that. Maybe a small dab of marine goop on a bottom edge would do the trick. That is what I'd do.

Thanks for the reply, crawdad!

I've got the capsule end unscrewed and I'm looking at a little nut holding a small fiberglass board with 2 wires soldered onto lugs. It looks like if I remove the wires and the nut the whole capsule will come out the other end.

Is it a trick? :D

YES! Don't do that! Seriously, try and find a way to keep the thing from vibrating and leave it be.

crawdad said:
YES! Don't do that!

LMAO!:D

Damn them Shure bros.:mad: Makes me want to kick both their asses (there's only two, right? :D)

Guess I'll try some "gorilla snot " on it or somethin". I just hate to half-ass stuff, ya know?

I was serious about the Marine Goop. Its a miracle product IMO. Its a clear silicone caulk type stuff that dries in an hour, clear. I have used it to attach mixers to rack drawers as well as a small reverb to the same. It sticks and lasts. The beauty is that if you want to remove what you've stuck down, a very strong pressure will break the seal and you can peel the stuff off. So, a slight dab between the capsule cover and the body of the mic should keep it from vibrating--maybe a dab on each side. Don't get it way up and under, just on the bottom edge. Seriously, try it!

Marine goop. Is that the brand name? I'm only about 15min from the harbor so I should be able to find it somewhere 'round here.

When I said "gorilla snot" I was referring to 3M weatherstrip adhesive. It's black, really sticky until it dries, still flexable after it does and doesn't come off without chemicals.

The brand name is Goop. The particular type is marine. Any good hardware store should have it. It will come off without chemicals too!

Back