Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap - featuring RAMI on vocals!

Greg_L

Banned
I started this just goofing around with no real plan to complete it, then I thought it started sounding pretty good, so I decided to go all the way. :thumbs up:

But then came time to do the vocals. I gave it a try and it just wasn't gonna happen. Lol. :(

So I thought, "well shit I don't wanna scrap it now" so the first and only name that came to mind was my main man Rami. I knew he could do it, so I floated the idea to him. He graciously said yes and knocked it out really fast, and really well. So here it is.

We like it, so give it a listen and see what you think.

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

Thanks.

Sounds great. I think you all knocked it out of the park! What guitar /amp combo? Is that an SG?

Just posting so that I can get subscribed to the thread.

This was some fun shit. Thanx Greg. :cool:

Sounds great. I think you all knocked it out of the park! What guitar /amp combo? Is that an SG?
Thanks dude. Les Paul on the left, SG for the lead and right rhythm. Marshall Plexi 1959 into a Marshall 1960A 4x12 Greenback cab.

Just posting so that I can get subscribed to the thread.

This was some fun shit. Thanx Greg. :cool:
Haha, no thank you. You made it happen. :)

Yeah it 'started sounding pretty good'. The guitars are solid.

Great job for just knocking one out.

My fav AC DC era.
Lots of meat with those potatoes & that's what the sound was all about.
Nice example of the tonal variety fo the guitars too.
Cool bananas (could it be that's what Bon used to enhance his profile?).

I don't know if it's the pickups or the amp but the left and right guitars sound really close to each other. Like it's the same guitar. I think the lead is a little low or too much reverb maybe but it could use some more presence for me. Performance is excellent....

I like it. Wanna try something? Turn down the wing guitars one tiny taste and work on adding body to the vocal. Why? Well, there's a big contrast between the guitars and the vocal - the guitars have got all the body. I'd be trying distortion and parallel compression and a doubled vocal track and pitch-shifted panned clones and a bump at 100 Hz and pots and pans and anything to add body to that vocal. It's not that it's thin, it's just that it's trying really hard to keep up to the guitars and not quite there yet.

I'd be trying distortion and parallel compression and a doubled vocal track and pitch-shifted panned clones and a bump at 100 Hz and pots and pans and anything to add body to that vocal. It's not that it's thin
Hehe...What? Have you ever heard ACDC? It's not a Journey production. I realize this was almost at the top of my range and I don't have the balls of a Bon Scott, but if you over-produce it by doubling, distorting, pitch-shift, clone :-)eek:), it would sound ridiculous for an ACDC tune. Just my opinion, not saying my vocal matches the guitars, because those guitars are huge, I agree.

Sounds great to me, taking it on it's own merit as I don't know the original. (I'm not a fan AC/DC at all)

I think the vocals could possibly go up just a touch. Just to keep them in check with those guitars.

Top job :thumbs up:

Mr Clean,
you should suss out some Bon Scott era Accaddacca - it's pop rock with smut, laughs and riffing guitars. When they reconvened post Bon they were almost the same but it became rock plus the smut & laughs weren't as juvenile (fun) - after all a Geordie was delivering them!

I have access to all the AC/DC I could ever want Ray. My Dad is a huge fan and I've heard it all over the years growing up. (I've bought half of it for him in presents over the years) They're just one of those bands that really never grip me at all. I've always found them rather boring.

Like Ray was implying, I love Bon Scott ACDC way more than Brian J. ACDC. I would have loved to hear the Back in Black album with Bon Scott. As much as it's a great album (if you like them), I can only imagine how incredibly awesome it would have been with Bon.

I can see how many people don't like them. They're not a song-writers band. They're not a "thinking man"'s band. But if you appreciate straight-ahead, well played, riff-based rock, they pretty much sum it up.

For a wannabe rock guitarist such as myself, I always strive for Angus' sound. To me, there's nothing like the sound of an open D to an open G with just the right amount of bite and distortion, which is his signature, to me.

I can see how many people don't like them. They're not a song-writers band. They're not a "thinking man"'s band. But if you appreciate straight-ahead, well played, riff-based rock, they pretty much sum it up.

That pretty much sums them up for me. I appreciate what they do and they're very good at it. Just not my particular cup of tea.

No such thing. Derailing a thread just means keeping at the top until everyone else wakes up. :)

Thanks everyone. Dobro you are insane, but thanks for the comments anyway.

I'll give it a remix with less rhythm guitars and see if it balances out better. My idea was to mix it guitar heavy because that's kind of how their old stuff was done, and this is an oldie. But wtf do I know? I didn't really do much mixing to this at all.

As far as I'm concerned, AC/DC is one the best rock and roll bands of all time. You know what you're gonna get with AC/DC. There are no experiments, no surprises. Just pure unfiltered rock and roll. They make the same album over and over and it's great every time to me. I like Bon, I like Brian, Phil Rudd is the most solid drummer ever. I dare you to find a rock and roll album that sounds better from drums to guitars than Back in Black. Go ahead, I dare you. Back in Black. Those might be the best guitar tracks ever recorded. Ever. Literally, best of all time. If I could make an album that sounds like that, I'd tell you all to fuck off and nuke my account here. :D

That's a courageous cover to do as a recording. Bon Scott has one of the most unique voices I've ever heard. Its down right odd, and nobody really sounds like him. Did you ever hear him before he was with ACDC singing stuff like "Fill me up buttercup" strange...

Recording sounds good, guitars especially, vocals sound surprisingly well on the chorus. Nice job.

Thanks everyone. Dobro you are insane, but thanks for the comments anyway.

Yeah, maybe insane. More probably just coming from a different place. (I know, I know - "You're coming from right out of your own arse, dobro.") I'm unfamiliar with the original, so I'm not comparing yours to that one - I've only ever heard it in live video. I listen to any mix and try to hear what it's saying in terms of balance and separation and glue. Emulate the original? Sure, if you can. I can't, so that's why I'm always on the 'just do what makes sense to you' jag.

Back