Directions

Are you playing yo' daddy's old vinyl? "Magic Bus' meets Dylan meets the '67 California sound. Deja vous. Sounds real good. Just wondering if this and all the similar tracks I hear lately are an accidental rediscovery, or a purposeful honoring, of a long past set of vintage musical idioms...and if the Momma's and the Pappa's will be selling out on a tour this summer? I'm having flashbacks to age 9!!!

I love the MP3 Mixing Clinic not because I'm some expert and think every critique I give is gospel, but because I get to be exposed to all kinds of different music by folks just like me, who love recording and music.

"Directions" is a great tune and has such a cool vibe to it and I'd have never heard it if not for this forum.:) I agree with Jeff on how it has a '60's-ish feel to it, but it works and sounds cool. Nice track!

I think alot of this type of music (60ish)is coming back around. It was a simple feel good music with no message other than enjoy......:D

Yeah this kind of music and trying to sound old isn't my thing, but this is pretty good. I liked it. I like the simple but just right harmonies. Good job. :)

Man. Love just about everything going on here. The verb on the voice is perfect, I thinks it's where a lot of that "60's" sound is coming from. The percussion (woodblock, slapping the acoustic(I think) and then the handclaps) make it for me. Simple harmonica line to add to the mood. I'm growing a third thumb because two thumbs up doesn't seem enough.

The verb on the voice is perfect, I thinks it's where a lot of that "60's" sound is coming from. The percussion (woodblock, slapping the acoustic(I think) and then the handclaps) make it for me.

Thanks for the comments guys. I really appreciate it.

Yeah, I drenched the vocals in reverb. I love reverb. I wasn't trying to make the song sound old or whatever, but I guess reverb has a way of doing that. I have to say that the warm vocal preset in garageband sounds really decent.

Cancers, you are right about the woodblock (actually a wooden container hit with a wooden spoon) and the acoustic slap. The "kick" sound is actually a muted palm on the acoustic top, followed by a slap. There are no handclaps, but I swear I can hear them.

I'm thinking the acoustic might sound a bit dull (?), but it sounded good yesterday. I could be wrong. I really like the way the sound of the classical came out though. Any more comments on the mix before I fine tune it?

Last edited:
So I spent two hours or so this morning going through each track and cleaning everything up/mixing. I overwrote the previous version with the new mix, so sorry if there is no reference. I also added little harmonica solo and took out the nonsense talking at the end. I think the mix sounds pretty good. Any more suggestions on the mix?

P.S. Garageband 09 really is a great little recording app:)

Nice 60's vibe here!
Very good performance, really like the different instruments and their placing. Voice and harmonies sound great. Yeah, Mamas and Papas kinda thing...off to the next Woodstock!;)

Joey :):):):)

have you listened to the Cosmic Rough Riders? A few more ODs and such & this is almost there.
Really nice - the repeat of the title reminded me of Connections by the Stones.
There's nothing to not like about this - cool, friendly & larconic. I'd love to hear some bass guitar (if it is I can't hear it).
I love sunny psych pop - & this is a pretty close thing!
Good One!

I'd love to hear some bass guitar (if it is I can't hear it).

Thanks guys.

I don't have a bass guitar anymore. I had one on loan from a friend who finally claimed it after a long time...so no more. I tried a midi bass track, but I didn't dig it too much. Even if I had a real bass, I still think it sounds cooler w/o a bass track. Kind of lends itself to that whole campfire hippie vibe I guess. Maybe I will rethink that later on. I'm pretty happy with where it's at now and ready to move on to the next one.

This is really very cool :D.

So glad I caught this before it slipped into the abyss off the front page. Love the harmonies, the harmonica and the melody. Length is just right. It has a great loose feel to it...really, really nice! :)

Back