Direct X version ?

vox

When Direct X version 8 first came out there were all sorts of horror stories about it flying around, it basically didn't work well and couldn't be uninstalled. I haven't heard anything in a while and was just wondering if everyone was still using version 7, or if version 8 got fixed.

Yeah I know, that's why I'm asking. My philosophy has always been 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' and I've been running Win 98se and version 7 succesfully and without problems for a couple years, but now a lot of software is asking for version 8. I just wanted to find out which release of version 8 is the good one, is the very latest release ok?

It looks like Microsoft has their shit together (with DX), so I think the Direct X horror stories are a thing of the past. You should be perfectly fine upgrading to the most recent version.

Ditto. No problems with it. With Windows 98 you can upgrade to 8.1, I think that with 95 (if anyone is still using it) you are limited to 8.0a. And regardless of version, you are correct in that once you install it there is no easy way to remove it.

There is a small easy DX uninstaller app around. I've had to use it to reinstall an older version.(which doesn't work if you reinstall over a previous version)

totally cleans out direct x...nice.

Thanks for the input guys :D

Brokenwindow, that's great news, do you have a link or the exact name of the software?

Vox....There's a few different progs that will work.

Just do a yahoo search for "directx uninstaller....You'll come up with something. Thats how I got the latest version of it.

What programs require 8.*? I have 7.0 and haven't run into problems that I know of. Just installed Logic 5.0 and it just came out.

Vegas, Sonar, DX instruments and Cakewalk PLASMA fx
needs DX 8.

I still using DX 7.
Cause I got problems when I first install the 8 version.

I will try the 8.1 let see what happen,
cause I want to use the newer plugs.

I hope it works well.

Back