direct recording using Mesa/Boogie pre

MikeBenke

I am recording my guitar through the mesa/boogie recto pre amp then through my m-audio audiophile sound card direct into my computer. This may be a dumb question, but what is the best kind of cable to connect the the pre amp to the soundcard with? Is it the same 1/4" shielded cable I use to connect my guitar to the pre?

What type of signal is comming out of the pre amp? Does that soundcard just have rca inputs?

I'm not sure if it's a mic level or line level signal comming from the amp. If it's mic level you would need a mic preamp.

The signal is sent out through the preamps RECORD OUTPUTS which are specifically intended for direct applications. The outputs are wired as standard TRS, however my soundcard has only RCA line inputs. The documentation for the preamp says that RECORD OUTPUTS can be used for either balanced or unbalanced consoles. Seeing how the soundcard's inputs are RCA I would have to assume that I am dealing with an UNBALANCED console, correct? Should I then be using RCA cables or TRS?

Back