Direct Or Mic'd

tonyA

I would like to get your opinions. Acknowledging that simultaneous track recording almost always guarantee's channel bleed, would it not be a good choice to record your guitars (or anything that could be plugged into the mixing console) directly instead of micing the speakers?

I assume most musicians would say, "Hell no, no way, mic my amp/speakers" why most engineers would argue, "It is the same thing, you get the same sound with the new stomp/effect boxes not available"

Which one is true, which one is better? What are the trade offs.

If you ask me, I always want it direct.

What does track bleed have to do with recording direct or mic'd???

And as far as digital recordings, there is no track bleed to worry about anyways.........

:confused:

Bruce

BBS is right... you shouldn't get any channel bleed? Even if you'd record analogue, that would never be something to worry about.

As far as direct or mic'd concerns, it depends entirely what kind of sound you wish to achieve, what kind of equipment / processors / directs / preamps you have available.
Take a bass for instance. Normally I go direct - pre - converter - disk. But if its an upright, I'll mic it, or use a pick-up and a mic, or 2 mics. If its an electric upright, I'll go direct. if its a distorted sound I'm after, I might go preamp - converter - disk with one channel, run another one into a crossover, run the low end to a mic'd ampeq in one room, run the high end to a Vox or Marshall in another room. Hundreds of possibilities, pick what works best for the recording you're making.

Do you mean something like the drums leaking into the guitar mic or vise versa? If so you can always record drums and bass first, then dub in remaining instruments as mic leakage will allow. A miced guitar cab is most always the prefered method of recording guitar. I like a combo of both direct and miced. You have a huge increase in tonal possibilties micing guitar. Choice and placement of mic, and choice of head and cabinet ect. Also choice of room sound. It is hard to perfectly answer your ? untill you post in more detail what you are asking. I gave you something to go on if that is what you meant.
HTH

i record bass direct using the tech21 sansmp.

i sometimes record guitar direct using the whirlwind DI box connected to a 2nd 1/4 output jack on the back of my amp. that way i get the amp'd sound without mic issues.

I track direct when I can but I do use cabinet and mic modeling when I do. It keeps my neighbors happy and it takes alot of guesswork out of stuff.

besides its easier to work with a pure signal and screw with it in the mastering stage.:cool:

Back