Direct Monitoring Using Quattro

nitchguitarist

Newbie question:
Do you need a mixer in order to monitor playback using direct monitoring? If I press the "Direct Monitoring" button in, I hear my instrument (guitar) thru the monitors but not any pre-recorded audio or the click from Cubase SX. I like recording w/ the click but also would like to hear my instrument at the same time while recording.

What is the hookup so I can hear my instrument along w/ all other recorded tracks at the same time? Thanks.

HA...I was just gonna ask the very same question...But I'm using Cubase VST/32 V.5 and An ST-Audio C-Port...

I'm still looking for this answer :( I tried finding out the answer myself but no luck. And to be honest, the people over at MAudio weren't helpful, they told me to read the manual (which I think was written in Greek!)

Anyway, I just ordered a Peavey RQ 200-6 mixer. Basically, all I want is to record while at the same time hearing the other pre-recorded tracks and my instrument. Thanks.

Using:
Cubase SX (on Win XP)
AMD 2400 w/ 512 ram
Quattro USB

Sure you can hear what you are recording and the rest of the tracks at the same time.

First, try to solve the problem via software. Try Preferences_VST_ Auto monitoring_ put it in Manual.
and:
Device Setup_ VST Multitrack_ Direct Monitoring- OFF.
(Yes: OFF. This option has gave me headaches always. Besides you must uncheck it to hear FX and EQ in real time, if you want to)

Click the monitor button on the Inspector Panel everytime you are going to record, and uncheck it to hear what you did.

If you cannot hear you and the rest of the instruments, then the problem can be solved via hardware, and a standard mixer should make the job. Actually my problem was in there.

Be sure you have the AP Delta adjusted propertly and set in SX.

I hope it helps. All of this is based on my experience, not on my knowledge, so correct me if i am wrong.

PS: How you record your guitar without a mixer? Dou you have a preamp?

Back