Direct monitoring in Cubase using a fireface 800 ?

moleman

I am experiencing delay of a severe amount when direct monitoring a track in Cubase via my Fireface 800. If there is anyone out there who uses Cubase and totalmix and has monitored directly from Cubase, I would love to have you guide me through your set-up. I have been posting at RME to no avail. Here's the link minus the url to the thread and the responses:

rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=13457]RME User Forum / Direct monitoring a tack within Cubase with Fireface 800[/url]

I get this delay without any plugins assigned to the track, direct monitoring from the fireface is unchecked, input fader is muted and my delay specs sound card delay spec are okay. Thanks

Why is direct monitoring unchecked? It's supposed to be checked if you want to use it. And I'm also confused as to why your input fader is muted.

What is your audio buffer setting?

As far as I know, RME is a pioneer of ADM so you should be getting latency free monitoring no problem.

Cheers :)

In Cubase if you check direct monitoring under the device setup, at least I think that's where it is, I'm not in front of my studio computer right now,...you monitor directly from your sound card or interfaces inputs ie...the Fireface not through Cubase and of course that's what I normally do. But I want to monitor via Cubase directly on the selected track so that I can hear a plugin if I desire. Whether I leave the fader open on the Fireface is not actually relevant, I'm just doing it in case un-checking direct monitoring is for whatever reason not working. I really just need someone who understands Totalmix and it's matrix and uses Cubase to direct monitor with, because I've tried every iteration of setup in totalmix and still get John Lennon's vocal slapback on steroids.

The buffer is settings....I've tried them all....it's not a latency issue or if it is then RME should be out of business probably. I posted all the latency spec's at the above referenced rme thread along with others answers.
Thanks

I think that monitoring through Cubase would technically be indirect monitoring. I suspect even if you get the buffers down to a minimum there is still some processing time added when monitoring through software.

I wish I could help more, but I can tell you I spent the better part of a recent day trying to sort out a Fireface/Totalmix/Pro Tools setup and it gave me a headache. Switching back and forth between the presets fixed the problem we had for some reason.

I think that monitoring through Cubase would technically be indirect monitoring. I suspect even if you get the buffers down to a minimum there is still some processing time added when monitoring through software.

I wish I could help more, but I can tell you I spent the better part of a recent day trying to sort out a Fireface/Totalmix/Pro Tools setup and it gave me a headache. Switching back and forth between the presets fixed the problem we had for some reason.

Yeah, it might be confusing calling it direct, although it is what the checkbox is called. I have had a headache with the setup for days now. Thanks though!

Ok now there's a bit more clarity.

Some plugins (such as SIR) introduce global latency when inserted, regardless of the buffer setting so you'll never get latency free monitoring.

What plugin are you attempting to use?

Cheers :)

Back