Direct Boxes

Actually I'm using it quite a bit - because it's light but sounds good, and my American Standard 5 string Jazz hasn't been out of it's case since last November. I just plug it into the interface - no DI and that is that. My fretted and fretless basses tend to just be plugged in and that is the 'sound'. In the band, I stopped using the big cab, then used the amp DI, then just a floor DI and that was fine. Volume on bass stays between half and full, and for most of my playing, it's on full, tone on full, and EQ wise, I add a little top and a little at the bottom - flat in the middle and that really is that.
When I was gigging with my Höfner, still using amps and cabs or the infrequent FOH, I always used a Boss CS-2 (later a CS-3) and that was it. I set the bass switches at Rhythm, Bass-On, Treble-Off.. the Vol's varied. The CS-2 gave me some good gain plus sustain, which was the main reason I used it - sustain.
A bass player I work with uses a Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver. We get pretty good results from it.

I have a couple of Rapco ADB+8 DIs, which have a +8 dB option for a bit of clean gain. I find them to be as good as a Countryman in most cases.

General rule of thumb with DIs, use a passive on an active source and an active on a passive source (especially a piezoelectric pickup).
I'm using the TSE Audio BOD, which I believe is a copy version of the Tech 21. It's great for beefing up the low end. I'm looking into the FMR7239 RNLA for that something extra.

I've just finished a conversation with Mark @ FMR Audio concerning their 7239 RNLA. The online material I've been looking at was a combination of early and later designs, each with different power requirements. Thomann told me their new units did not include a power supply (wall wart), yet Mark @ FMR confirmed their's do include appropriate supply units for their respective markets.

I haven't pulled the tigger yet, though I am fairly certain I'll be calling FMR Audio to order one not too far down the road (damn! there goes that Jet II bass onto the back burner.. again! :p:listeningmusic:)

Last edited:
I've just finished a conversation with Mark @ FMR Audio concerning their 7239 RNLA. The online material I've been looking at was a combination of early and later designs, each with different power requirements. Thomann told me their new units did not include a power supply (wall wart), yet Mark @ FMR confirmed theirs do include appropriate supply units for their respective markets.
Is this my fault..Did I plant this seed? FMR makes some nice compressors. My RNC and RNLA came with power supplies. Why would Thomann not include it?

The RNC works excellent on keyboard outputs to the mixer. It handles the more detailed patches in the keyboard. Really make the best parts louder. Vibrant. It worked so well it has been on my Fantom x6 outs for 10+ years.

The RNLA has a LoFi component. Almost splatty on bass drums. I found a great use for it on bass. There it stayed.

I think these are all discontinued..for a while now.

I've just finished a conversation with Mark @ FMR Audio concerning their 7239 RNLA. The online material I've been looking at was a combination of early and later designs, each with different power requirements. Thomann told me their new units did not include a power supply (wall wart), yet Mark @ FMR confirmed their's do include appropriate supply units for their respective markets.

I haven't pulled the tigger yet, though I am fairly certain I'll be calling FMR Audio to order one not too far down the road (damn! there goes that Jet II bass onto the back burner.. again! :p:listeningmusic:)
Is this my fault..Did I plant this seed?
You mean this stuff...?
On my bass rig , the 'deep' comes from the compression stage after the preamp. I use a FMR RNLA in between the power amp. Gooey thick low end..only a compressor has the power to magnify.
NOOoooooo

Last edited:
Screenshot 2022-08-17 233151.jpg
Is it ok, or normal to make cuts this deep in the track? HPF and LPF the hell out of it, cause screw it all..

If I add a huge 'shark fin' at the end of my ultimate bass chain, it doesnt really sound horrible as I would think. It is a bass preset too.

Last edited:
I play around with it. After tracking the initial bass line, I dupe it to another track and put ReaEQ on it. Then I sweep a narrow band along the lower half to see if anything sounds good when added to the original. Then I gradually widen the band, repeating the sweep. It's mostly a waste of time but sometimes it sounds ok. It's something to do.

I was doing a little online snooping for direct boxes when I came across this article. I'm lightly acquainted with Passive, Active and Re-Amp models but have no previous knowledge of Acoustic or Stereo.

I've used DIs in other studios - they looked like big, grey, electrical boxes with fat cables. Nothing like the small, colorful units home studios might have at hand.

This article mentions Active DIs amplifying the output of passive basses, but reducing headroom. I'm curious to know how much difference in output (sound) I could expect using one with my passive bass(es). I wouldn't want the cheapest DI, so putting out $150-200 for a model that would actually boost output without deteriorating sound quality is what I'd be shooting for.

What a great thread. Thanks for starting it.

As usual it boils down to what sound do you want to create and how do I tap into it without changing it?

As Rob pointed out DI's price point have more to do build quality than sound.

I treat my musicians customers with respect and let them know that I want to capture "their sound", not create it. Therefore I most often "tap in" at the very last stage, with a mic in front of the musician's speaker.

My objective remains to get as close as possible to what I would hear sitting in the best seat in the venue during the performance.

It hasn't changed since I was six, using dad's Webcor real to real.

And I still enjoy it.

Stay well everyone.

Tom eh

I treat my musicians customers with respect and let them know that I want to capture "their sound", not create it.
Thats lazy..make them sound awesome. RESPECT? no way...that's earned.
My objective remains to get as close as possible to what I would hear sitting in the best seat
I think these are the tools to do that. Then just bring a tape recorder in the room, and hit play and record..

I thought you want to be a sound engineer? Work the sound..That was one thing that stuck most. At 16 I could not believe how good they made the band sound. Then spent decades trying to back engineer what they did. It was that cool. Use the equipment. Knock their socks off. It's good for business.

How about some sound samples guys?

Last edited:
shark finned ultimate bass sounds 'good' in mix.

a quick limited drum track.
a splatty guitar with too much verb-age..

Attachments

• ultimatebassfinnedmix.mp3
    170.4 KB
I'm using the TSE Audio BOD, which I believe is a copy version of the Tech 21. It's great for beefing up the low end. I'm looking into the FMR7239 RNLA for that something extra.
You ever settle on a physical compressor to put on the bass preamp outputs?

It is a popular tool to make the vocals 'spitty' , and the guitars nice and 'splatty'. BSG had recommended that Drawmer a number of times..gonna have to check it out.

That TSE BOD VST is triumphant. Nothing too it. Sounds great.

The Drawmer 1960 is pricey and isn't a do-all type of compressor. But I like it on bass, just tapping it. I also use it on kick.

You ever settle on a physical compressor to put on the bass preamp outputs?

It is a popular tool to make the vocals 'spitty' , and the guitars nice and 'splatty'. BSG had recommended that Drawmer a number of times..gonna have to check it out.

That TSE BOD VST is triumphant. Nothing too it. Sounds great.
I've settled on the FMR 7239 RNLA. My current interface is only 2-in 2-out so I'm also resigned to obtaining a larger interface which will increase the expense and delay the purchases. The Drawmer is definitely out of reach for me - I'll reconsider it after I win the lottery ;)

Those FMR compressors sound great on the preamp outs. The RNLA is great on guitars and bass..Only feature I would have liked is a mix % knob.

A 50 % mix with a compressor at the 'outs' is popular.

20220831_111750.jpg

Heres another weld done DI box piece with clips.

DI...my 2 cents.
going through gear gaslust I never heard a huge difference in preamps or DI's in my HR for bass. I always felt the sims could do the job too.
My tones were usually pretty much what the guitar was, very little craziness added.

the RADIAL stuff is often all some bass players use to the DAW. Its well built and a confidence boost due to name brand of decades. Radial DI to me is like a SM7b to microphones....used by the pro's, maybe not a $7999 tube U47, or a REDD TUBE DI....but they are used by the pro's and are affordable, well respected for a reason.

I went through some higher dollar stuff, via PAYPAL!...0% for 6 months!
LA610, Emperical Labs, ISA Focusrite 430,ISA0ne and really really good gear far above my skill levels.
i even tried a J48 vs a JDI and didnt hear a huge difference with my small HR studio distance, <6ft cable. My passive Bass into the JDI sounded fine, passive to passive...but J48 is recommended etc...for passive pups science. I bought and sold to try to finds holy grails, but seemed 95% could work ok.
then it comes to money and spend away if you can. I sold about everything and have a $2000 channel strip old 430, but to my ears this doesnt sound any better than a Radial used for $185 as a Bass DI. I had the Geddy Lee SansAmp rack used for awhile too, it was cool, I like all the gear.... I got the 430 eventually because it has all the "stuff" in one unit, gate, comp, dess, eq, etc...it has the large transformer out and transformer input... and it was $650 craigslist steal deal (not literally.. but as in price?)
now with inflation avg price $2k. ..maybe it will come back to $1300? The point is my bass sounds no different than a Radial and even the Interface within a %.
I just never heard complete "bad" sounds except a very few pieces of crap.
Getting a SM7b or a Radial is pro gear, whether you like it or not. If a person can make a $12 mic sound great, hoorah for them. If they can afford a $12,000 Beatle U47 cool... but SM7b and Radials work too and are fairly priced imo. (maybe a bit high at the moment? inflation)

then slapping on compressors and eq , distortion, flange, and all the rest is just ART....right?
..and theres no accounting for taste. imo.

Im a recovering gearaholic and have been clean for 12 months now. :eatpopcorn:

but Bass DI is always a great topic....Bass tracks ... :thumbs up:

Back