Direct Boxes/Pe-Amps Vs. A Good Interface: Questions

Mike Freze

I understand that my interface (TASCAM US-122L) has a sound card built into it, AD/CD converter. pre-amps for each input, input level controls, all that. It is a 2.0 version (lowest of latencies, fastest speed).

So if one has an interface like this (even though it's only two line-level inputs, two mic inputs, and a midi input/output), why would you ever need a direct box or a pre-amp for instruments or vocals?

Are the sound cards built into the interface much superior than the computer sound card one used to use by connecting directly to it?

Also, since everyone needs an audio/midi interface to get signals into your computer to record, what's the point of an external hardware mixer?? A computer sofware program has a mixer as well. Outside of the fact that you can connect hardware effects pedals/devices with an external mixer (or maybe have more input channels from real instruments), I don't undertand....IF you used an external mixer (I have one) or a Studio-In-A-Box (I have a Fostex 16 tracker), again, what's the point? Mine has a hard drive to store songs, some effects included, digital readings for EQ, panning setups, a CD drive and burner built right in, and so on.

If you use a Studio-In-A-Box like I have, does that still have to be connected to your interface box anyway to get the recording into your computer? Or can you by-pass your interface (like my TASCAM) and connect your hardware mixer DIRECT to your computer? If not, then it sounds like one more step in getting your songs on your Studio-In-A-Box into your software program on your computer. If the interface is still needed, why bother with a hardware mixer?? Migfht as well just go direct to your interface from your instruments (amped/miked) or vocals.

Mike Freze

Too many questions!
Generally, yes, the audio interface is going to be a better quality soundcard than the one that came in your computer.
You would use an outboard mixer if you wanted to use more inputs/mics than your audio interface can transmit (via USB or Firewire) to the computer.
Your Fostex recorder may have a USB connection to transfer files direct to your computer, if not, you coudl do it by taking the audio out to your interface, or burn a CD, and use that to input the tracks to the computer. You would typically not use a stand-alone recorder if you are using a computer/DAW. Some people like to use the stand-alone recorder, transfer the unedited/processed tracks to the computer, then work magic with the DAW.

A lot of interfaces only do AD and/or DA conversion and don't have preamps or phantom power.

That's where a mixer or outboard preamps come into play.

I route my inputs direct from outboard preamps into a Lynx2A soundcard but the output of the Lynx goes back through a mixer.

Using a setup like that you don't have to re-patch to go from monitoring through headphones during recording to monitoring through speakers during playback/editing.

You answered all your own questions. Mixer = good for live or you want to connect all your equip and not plug in/out everytime you want to record a different instrument.

Back to the as yet unanswered question...

So if one has an interface like this (even though it's only two line-level inputs, two mic inputs, and a midi input/output), why would you ever need a direct box or a pre-amp for instruments or vocals?

Since you have two mic inputs, you already have two built-in preamps. As long as you didn't need to record with more than two mics at a time, you would not need stand-alone preamps. If you wanted to record with 3 or 4 mics, you could plug stand-alone preamps into your line level inputs. I'm leaving a mixer out of this discussion.

"Instruments" covers a lot of territory. If you wanted to record a guitar or bass direct (without going through an amp), one of the line inputs on the US-122L can be switched to high-impedance so a guitar or bass can be plugged directly into it.

If you wanted to record something like a keyboard or synth, you would use one of the line inputs if your instrument only has a mono output, or both line inputs if it has a stereo output.

Thanks guys, a lot of help there. A quick question concerning what bdenton just said. Why do you need to "switch" your input on your interface to high impedence if you want to record a guitar or bass direct? Doesn't the interface convert whatever is necessary from high impedence to low impedence (or visa verss)? That has always confused me. Same with an input on your interface that is balanced vs. unbalanced. Again, no matter what instrument you plug into your interface or what cable you use, won't that interface "know what to do" to convert things correctly to the right impedence and balance when it sends your recording signal to your computer through the USB?? Or do you have to match balanced/unbalanced cables or types of instruments (high vs. low impedence) BEFORE you plug in to your interface? I just thought the interface changed the settings internally to whatever is needed to transfer the date to the computer correctly.

If noty, then maybe I can't use a balanced cable in an unbalanced input (or a high impedence instrument in a low impedence input). Help!!

Mike Freze

In the context of this discussion, the interface does not know what you have plugged in.

A guitar or bass expects to "see" a high impedance input, since that is the impedance on the input to a guitar amp.

A microphone would typically expect to see a low impedance, although there are some high impedance mics.

The purpose of balanced cables is to reduce the noise that can be induced into the cable by sources such as power cables. A balanced cable is more-or-less "required" on long cable runs and on mic cables to achieve acceptable quality.

In most cases, you can use an unbalanced cable (such as a guitar cable) in a balanced input or output if the cables are short. However, there are cables that have a TRS (balanced) connector on one end, and a TS (unbalanced) connector on the other; these are preferable when connecting balanced inputs/outputs to unbalanced inputs/outputs.

Back