Direct box recommendations

Hammerstone

Out of style
Hey guys, here's what I'm dealing with:

I just got a Tascam 4-track portastudio but I've had problems with the input transformers I have access to, they introduce an unwanted harmonic modulation/distortion (or something) in acoustic instruments, so I'm just gonna go for something that has a bit higher quality and flexibility. My 244 only has 1/4" unbalanced inputs and I'll need to be able to hook up microphones, so I believe what I need is a direct box that will convert low-impedance signals (XLR) to high impedance (1/4")?

It seems, from what I've found, that my two choices are the Art DTI or the Ebtech LLS-2-XLR, but perhaps there are other options that you would be willing to suggest? I'm not totally averse to paying a *little* extra for higher quality, but I'd need two channels, don't want to have to buy two of the things...

I believe what I need is a direct box that will convert low-impedance signals (XLR) to high impedance (1/4")?

Direct boxes do the opposite, go from high impedance unbalanced to low impedance balanced. But passive direct boxes can generally be used backwards with an XLRF-XLRF adapter.

A simple adapter from XLR to TS, with no transformer, may work pretty well for microphones. If not you might try something like an Audix T-50K. For instruments with piezo or magnetic pickups I would suggest an active direct box followed by the simple XLR-TS adapter.

Look at this page about interfacing balanced and unbalanced gear: Sound System Interconnection

Alright guys, thanks for the tips, some great stuff there. Since it's the impedance transformer that's the problem, either due to faulty wiring or just cheap construction, either way it's producing unwanted artifacts in the sound (in my case piano and acoustic guitar) probably due to hum. (I might actually have some kind of passive direct box, I'll see if I can find the necessary XLR adapter around to test that out)

Personally, if I'm going to go buy something, I'd rather buy a direct box (or passive DI, etc, my terminology not withstanding) that affords me a little bit more flexibility, something I can get a few different uses out of over a longer period. Going to Radial, I think the JDI Duplex is the kind of thing I'm after, I like the fact that it does XLR in/out and TS in/out - very flexible. The only thing is that I don't know if I can justify spending $350 on one when I can get very much the same thing from an Art DTI (which is even advertised as a hum eliminator) for $60.

You've already been helpful so please don't think I'm complaining, I'm just looking for more options if they're out there. I don't know a whole lot about different companies, I'd guess Art is pretty low-end stuff, and I'd be willing to spend a *bit* more if there's a better option for price vs. quality. Good thinking on Radial, though for the kind of money I'd spend, the patriot in me insists it come from 'Murica. You've pointed me in the right direction!

If you think it's what you need I would try the ART at the cheaper price, ART DI boxes are quite good, I have a couple.

Alan.

Thinking about it further, have you thought about buying a mic preamp with an instrument input, then you can take the line out from the pre into the tascam as a line input. The mic pre will give you a balanced phantom powered mic input and a god instrument input in one.

Alan.

You could try couple of these..Microphone Transformer XLR to 6.35mm Mono Plug | Maplin

I suppose you don't have a Maplin "in the mountains" but they are a generic mic transformer and a search should find other suppliers.
For ACTUAL DI boxes do investigate Orchid Electronics.
But I am with the suggestion of a mic pre amp. If you got something like the Audient Mico which has S/PDIF out and excellent converters you would be ready for when (not if!) you move over to computer recording!

Dave.

If you think it's what you need I would try the ART at the cheaper price, ART DI boxes are quite good, I have a couple.

Alan.

Thinking about it further, have you thought about buying a mic preamp with an instrument input, then you can take the line out from the pre into the tascam as a line input. The mic pre will give you a balanced phantom powered mic input and a god instrument input in one.

Alan.

Thanks for the suggestion. The problem is that preamp-wise, I don't think I'd get a lot out of those little cheap ones (Art, Presonus) as much as I would if I saved up for something like a Universal Audio 2-610, (though using one with portastudio might be a bit overkill). Also, since I can't bypass the mixer's preamps, I'd have to be extremely careful not to overload the electronics I believe. I've been keeping my eye out for a good deal on one of the old Shure mic mixers: one of those would work quite well for my application, have the added flexibility of multiple inputs to one channel. I've heard of people modding these to give multiple outputs too - one modded M67 would pretty much do everything I need, actually...

If you are up to a bit of modding, look for a cheap, modern mixer.

The likes of Behinger, Tascam, Yamaha and several others all make mixers that will be better IMO than an "old Shure"!
The mod part comes about because as you say, the line outs will likely overload the other pres, couple of 20dB attenuators in a tin is beer into water to make.

Then, a Berry Xenyx 802 or similar will always come in handy. A old Shure will not (well, doorstop?)

Dave.

Oh good Lord no, I'd rather buy one that's already modded...I don't think I'd be up for trying that myself!

But I think the Shure might be the kind of sound I'd like, add some interesting color. Plus, they're not exactly expensive either...

Oh good Lord no, I'd rather buy one that's already modded...I don't think I'd be up for trying that myself!

But I think the Shure might be the kind of sound I'd like, add some interesting color. Plus, they're not exactly expensive either...

Well, it is not a "mod" exactly, just a simple external construction. I am wary of "colour". Often it is just muddying distortion and likely with old transistor kit (might even be 741s! Ye Gods!), noise.

Still, YOUR money friend!

Dave.

Thanks for the suggestion. The problem is that preamp-wise, I don't think I'd get a lot out of those little cheap ones (Art, Presonus) as much as I would if I saved up for something like a Universal Audio 2-610, (though using one with portastudio might be a bit overkill). Also, since I can't bypass the mixer's preamps, I'd have to be extremely careful not to overload the electronics I believe. I've been keeping my eye out for a good deal on one of the old Shure mic mixers: one of those would work quite well for my application, have the added flexibility of multiple inputs to one channel. I've heard of people modding these to give multiple outputs too - one modded M67 would pretty much do everything I need, actually...

Good grief, you are recording on a Tascam 4-track portastudio, the Art, Presonus or something like a Studio Projects VTB-1 or almost anything in that price range would sound better then the tascam unbalanced jack mic input. The jack inputs of the portastudio should be made to handle line inputs no problem. If you are talking Universal Audio 2-610 in the shopping list there is a whole lot of other things you could improve first, like the portastudio?

Alan.

:D Of course.

But, the thing about the UA 2-610 is that it'll help out ALL my recordings, no matter what I happen to be using it on, and it would be a piece of gear that I'd never outgrow, so in terms of longevity I'd call it a bargain.

On a more serious side though: what do you think of the SM Pro Audio Q-pre? It doesn't have a great amount of flexibility and I have no idea if it's any good, but if I'm going to consider a preamp, this one has 4 channels and serves my immediate needs.

If you want to plug instruments in without also buying a DI it won't do it.

Alan.
Agreed. I have downloaded the manual for the pre and what they call a "DI" box. They do not seem to know WTF they are doing when it comes to writing a specc'...Wouldn't trust 'em!

Dave.

I'd really suggest staying away from the cheaper DI's. They have cheap transformers in them which really does reduce the quality of sound by reducing the dynamic and frequency range. I've got a bunch of less expensive DBX, and Chinese rip off DI's and I finally started building my own with Lundahl transformers. Jensen or Cinemag also make great transformers too. As you stated before, the Radial JDI is a good choice and it already has a Jensen inside it. I thought that I could get away with using cheap gear and every time I've always had to upgrade it later. Purchasing a quality DI will last for years and you'll start with good sound right away.

Yeah I'd really rather spend a little bit extra on quality. Radial sounds like a good brand and everything, but I think their stuff's priced too high for me. Also, evidently, the JDI doesn't have 1/4" outputs, so it's kind of useless to me, unfortunately. Bouldersoundguy's actually explained (patiently) explained a lot to me so as far as my original idea, I might be going in a different direction now.

Since the only brands I'm familiar with are the ARTs and Presonuses, etc, what would you recommend for something that's higher quality?

Back