Direct Box from Phono Preamp

Thanks... what are some of these high end phono preamp brands/models? I think I might have to try that route.

And I still don't get the advantages to an active direct box vs. passive... but maybe I should start a new thread for that one.

Well.....the cheapest decent pres will run about $100-$130. You can find some at The Needle Doctor. I don't have a link but it's like....Needledoctor.com maybe. They have a Sumiko for about $100 I think and something else in that range, can't really remember the name. But go to their site and they have all good stuff. You NEED to know whether you have a moving magnet or a moving coil cartridge. It's probably moving magnet but you do need to be sure. So have the model of your cartridge available to them so they can get you the right one.

Sounds like you need to check each part of the chain one at a time to isolate the problem. Test the turntable on another system, like a stereo receiver. If it works OK there, run a line level output from the receiver to a line input on the Soundcraft mixer and see how that works. Try different cables, etc. The problem might be as simple as one faulty cable that you have used with each combination of hardware you've tried so far...

I think I finally got a handle on things. The direct box and a change in location helped. There is still a decent hum, but I think a better preamp will take care of the rest. I think I'm gonna look into a Soundcraft Folio Notepad mixer for this, or maybe a higher end phono preamp.

Thanks to all who replied.

Back