direct bass recording

GRADSTANG

what unit is effective in recording the bass like the j station is to the guitar or is going direct into the digital recorder then using the built in eq sufficiant enough to get the heavy deep bass sound i am use to hearing from my bassist pounding through his half stack

I use a J-Station for bass as well as guitar , there are a few Bass Amp models included and you can play with the presets and the models and come up with quite a lot of good tones .

MORE DIRECT BASS RECORDING

SEE HOCKEY JUNKIE I AM PLAANING ON USING THE J STATION FOR THE GUITAR THE SAME TIME AS THE BASSIST IS RECORDING HIS PARTS SO I JUST NEED ANOTHER ALTERNATIVE TO THE J STATION THAT WOULD MAKE HIS BASS SOUND KILLER

or get another similar unit for guitar like the Boss GP20, the Behringer V-Amp,etc....there are quite a few under $150......

then use the J-Station for bass......

this way you also have access to a few more different sounds when you do overdubs.....

Well, there is always the Bass POD.

Personally I feel that the combination of a Sansamp Bass Driver with an Art Tube MP is pretty cool.

Slackmaster 2000

OK Slack, I guess It's my turn to agree with you on this.

I use the same setup, except I have a Dual MP. I like this combo better than either my ART or SABDDI by themselves, and they both sound pretty good by themselves.

Another thing I just tried for kicks is recording two simultaneous bass tracks. I use the same ART/SABBDI combination into one channel of the soundcard. Then I take the unaffected out of the SABDDI and run it into guitar POD. I'm still messing around with this to see it gets me anywhere, but so far it sounds like it might work. I was never thrilled with the guitar POD by itself for bass.

I'm also thinking about buying a practice bass amp, so if I do that I'd like to try running the unaffected out of the SABDDI into the amp and then micing the amp. This would give me the direct and mic'd bass combination.

DaveO said:
OK Slack, I guess It's my turn to agree with you on this.

I use the same setup, except I have a Dual MP. I like this combo better than either my ART or SABDDI by themselves, and they both sound pretty good by themselves.

Another thing I just tried for kicks is recording two simultaneous bass tracks. I use the same ART/SABBDI combination into one channel of the soundcard. Then I take the unaffected out of the SABDDI and run it into guitar POD. I'm still messing around with this to see it gets me anywhere, but so far it sounds like it might work. I was never thrilled with the guitar POD by itself for bass.

I'm also thinking about buying a practice bass amp, so if I do that I'd like to try running the unaffected out of the SABDDI into the amp and then micing the amp. This would give me the direct and mic'd bass combination.

Ha! I do that quite a bit actually! Try running the uneffected signal out to the pod set to a delay/swell with a lot of distortion. Neat effect. I've also used the sansamp to split the signal, and then I've run one line into the effects return on my guitar amp and the other into this portable microphone PA thing....then put both units facing eachother about 1" apart so they'd kind of feed eachother...wicked sustain, weird sound :)

Slackmaster 2000

Yeah, I've thought about taking the left and right POD outputs and processing them separately, too. Unfortunately I can't do that right now. I'm still using the SB Live! sound card that came with the PC so I can't accomodate that third input. I tried using my 4-track as a mixer a few times but it just doesn't sound good enough to use that way for anything but practicing.

Maybe if I spent a few bucks on a cheap Behringer mixer ...
:D :p :rolleyes: :eek: ;)

Back