Digitech VL4 in studio?

foxwaves

Does anyone here have any tips on the best way to connect a Digitech VocalistLive 4 (VL4) harmonizer for studio use? I realize it's made for live performances, but suspect it used sparingly, it could add a little harmony goodness to some vocals. I've used it live and it's a big plus in that setting. When I've tried to route it through my Alesis IO2 interface, it just doesn;t work. In fact, I hope I didn't ruin my interface with a signal that's too hot. Thanks!

I've never tried to use mine in the studio so I'm hoping to follow this thread with interest

Maybe we can both learn something, RogerL. I really like the VL4 for live work, and think it could help some demos shine...if we can find a good way to rig it up in the studio. I thought it's be simple. I ran my prerecorded guitar track into the VL4 guitar input, andthe dry/clean prerecorded vocal into the VL4 mic input, expecting to record a harmony track from the VL4 output. Sounds like it should work, but no dice. I tried a lot of different hookups with no success.

Hopefully, someone here will share their wisdom!

What DAW are you using?

It seems you would have gotten something out of it if you connected it correctly. Keep in mind that the VL4 will be expecting guitar or mic level input, and not the line level that comes out of your interface. For the guitar, you may want to use a reamp box, or on the cheap at least an impedance matching transformer and some adapters. May work to some degree for the vocals as well. I am just guessing here though as I have never tried using what is in essence a 'stomp box' as an external effects unit.

The problem isn't the digitech, it should work fine.
Here is the manual, see page 10. I am new so I am not allowed to post the URL but google the manual, and look at page 10.
The limitation is your Alesis with only two inputs and two outputs. Here is what I suggest.
You want one track to process through the digitech going out one alesis output. and the rest of the mix going out the other. Feed that output to the LINE input of the digitech. Take the digitech LINE out and put it into the gtr/LINE inputs of the alesis. Bounce(record) the effected tracks to 2 new tracks in your daw. ( Turn the input gain down) But because you will get feedback the track where you record the digitech the faders need to be down while recording. These tracks will also be delayed so in your daw you will need to drag them forward to be in time with the original tracks. Now bounce the other track the same way. It sounds confusing but it should work fine. It would be a lot easier if you had more inputs and outputs on your hardisk recorder.
Brad

While I have never tried this, wouldn't it work to just take the line out from the VL4 and run it to your interface. You can play guitar as normal and turn it down so you only get the vocal coming out. Of course you'd have to use headphones to either hear another track for the song(kind of like a backing track) or to hear what you're recording . . .I think

Hello jimmys69,

I'm using Reaper and an Alesis IO2 Express interface. Like you, I expected it to be an easy setup. I did get some sounds, mostly weak audio with lots of wow and nothing like what the VL4 produces in normal circumstances. I monkeyed with all setting that I thought might help, but it was a no go. Weird. Thanks for your reply; I may go back and try xlr inputs...

Thank you, BradL8068. I'll try your system; it makes sense. It seems you know your way around this sort of thing, and I appreciate your help! I actually did use my VL4 harmonizer in a friend's studio and it worked very well. The difference there is he has a monster mixer with plenty of I/Os. I'll let you know what happens. Have a great week!

Hey RogerL.,

That might work. I'll try all suggestions! Ideally, I would use my prerecorded guitar track and vocal tracks, though. That's what I did at my friend's studio (with the big board) and it worked great. I'll keep in touch...thanks again!

Back