Digital Recording

Brendan_Owens

Hey, Just wanted to say how excited I am about stumbling on this site. I'm geeked. Well, I have a question I'm sure that has been asked a billion times here and i'm sure the answers are in this site somewhere, but I am in Iraq right now so I can't surf for long. My question is what is a good base of equipement(reasonably priced) for a band that consists of percussion, lead, rhythm, and bass guitar, synth, and vocals to start recording digitally to a cd. My email is Brendan_Owens82@yahoo.com if any experienced people could offer more insight. I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Aside from the myriad microphones and cables you'll need - most of which I assume you already have - you'll need to decide what type of recorder you need. Here's some questions to help you decide:

- Are you going to record the band playing together, and if so, are you going to mix the sound at a mixer and send a stereo track to your recorder, or you going to record each instrument to it's own track? This questions is meant to help you decide how many inputs your recorder should have.

- Do you want to use the microphones you already have (probably designed for stage use), or do you want to purchase studio grade mics?

- Do you want a stand alone unit like the Korg D16, or are you looking for a PC based interface? This will help you decide if you need to purchase recording software.

- Do you want to use hardware effects (reverb, eq, compression) or software based effects?

- What is your goal quality wise? Demo CD? Souvinier for friends?

- Here's the biggie - what's your budget?

These questions should get you going in the right direction. The more info you give us the better we can answer your questions.

Thanks, I really appreciate the help. I don't have anything currently and I was thinking about budgeting $2,000 at first to see how it works. I wanted to record the instruments seperatly and maybe together. Truth is that I'm clueless on everything. I need a lot of help. But thank you for your email and your help. I really appreciate it.

hey brendan.........north carolinian here......Greensboro... before shelling out 2k. look at what phyl said and make sure you know the answer to the questions before putting the money down and finding out it was a waste. you have the enthusiasm and the financial means so all it takes now is research.

distortedrumble said:
.....before shelling out 2k. look at what phyl said and make sure you know the answer to the questions before putting the money down and finding out it was a waste. you have the enthusiasm and the financial means so all it takes now is research.

I agree TOTALLY, with the above quote.

The Land of Moderators, because those who wish to be mediators between two resolute thinkers are marked as mediocre: they lack eyes to see the unparalleled; seeing things as similar and making them the same is the mark of weak eyes.

spin

thanks, that's what i'm in the process of doing right now. if anyone could show me a simple list of must haves and then another list of should haves with the names and prices of the products, i would really appreciate it. sorry if it seems im not doing the research myself, but i am really ignorant right now and am not familiar with the equipent. also, like i stated previously, im in iraq and research means are limited. thanks again!

well first things first....keep your head down. and keep your foot up some terrorist ass! second: do you want to record using a PC or a workstation (workstations are usually "all-in-one" and you can burn it to a cd from there) you'll have more options for play with PC but for a straight shot "no frills" recording i would go with a workstation. i use a PC though. Third: when is the USO going to have "SAMMY HAGAR: LIVE IN BAGHDAD!"?

Thank you, I appreciate your support. I wish I knew when USO would provide us with a decent show! Ha, the only thing we got here was the Redskins cheerleaders and they showed up in sweat suits. That's just what a task force of infantryman anticipated when they heard cheerleaders were coming, let me tell you! Anyway, to show my ignorance again, I thought that you could record from a workstation and burn to a cd, then add effects using a pc. That's what I was hoping for, but like i said, I'm clueless. How does recording from a workstation work? Do you use a pc to edit the different tracks or do you do all that using some display on the station? Anyway, what else do you need besides instruments(duh), mic's, an 8 track, and some amps? Thanks again for the input.

Back