Digital recorder for Dummies?

EDAN

Hey all,

Long story short, I've always been an analog guy. Fact is I'm a songwriter and only put on my producer and engineer hats because I have to, that's not to say I don't like recording, I love it, but I'm so wrapped up in songwriting I don't have the time or desire to learn the technical end of recording to the extent of most of you. I know nothing about digital recorders.

Here's what I'm looking for:

A stand alone digital recorder under $1,000 preferred
8 -to- 16 tracks
Dummy proof (no endlessly searching deeper and deeper menu's)

I presently record with a Tascam TSR-8 and even with my limited technical knowledge I'm able to produce some very high quality recordings. Can a digital recorder in my price range produce as good results or do I have to spend more?

Outside of sound quality my main requirement is EASE OF USE. I don't have time to take a course in engineering or study a manual for a month in order to operate a digital recorder.

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Edan

I've only heard great thigns about the Fostex MR8HD and MR16HD the Mr8 is an 8 track wit ha 40GB hard drive for around $400 new and the Mr16 has a 40GB HDD too for around $600 new w/ CD Burner (The MR8 also has an optional cd burner model for $500 new I think). They both seem to have easy to navigate menus.

MR16HD w/ CD Burner: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...ck-Digital-Recorder-with-CD-Burner?sku=701049

MR8HD:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...ital-Recorder-with-40GB-Hard-Drive?sku=240341

Edan, I'm not so far from your description of yourself. I'm a guitarist and songwriter first, and I keep my little home studio as absolutely streamlined and simple as possible. I can press a button or two and tweak a dial, but I lose patience if I can't keep my focus on my music most of the time. Coming from a Tascam Portastudio rig, I was able to achieve the simple approach I wanted with a Yamaha 16-track (aw16g, now updated to the 1600 for about $900). I suspect that some of the other good folks here will be along shortly to mention the same. I particularly like this machine because it has a good tactile surface with a selection of key knobs to push and twiddle like the old Tascams.

Still, moving to digital isn't mindless. There's a learning curve, and there is some minor menu scrolling, but I found it all rather painless actually (and I'm a real yutz with new technology). I just took things rather slowly, keeping in mind that whatever I learned would be with me for a lifetime. As importantly, this particular Yamaha machine has one of the best support forums that I've ever seen for any piece of gear. Sharing the same box does bring people together, and the folks there are as friendly as they come--and incredibly patient with newcomers. There's a selection of "getting started" documents there that the forum members have developed, and a wealth of accumulated responses to nearly every question imaginable. Anything else just requires a quick post--help will follow shortly. http://forum.dijonstock.com/

I'll admit that I haven't actually used any other digital standalone, but I did do my homework for some months before settling on the Yam. If you care to search the web, you'll find loads of positive reviews of this machine in mags like SOS. I think it would work well for you, but... well, you'll probably have to invest some spare evenings and a weekend or two before things begin to work without much effort. I can't imagine any digital machine that wouldn't require a bit of work during the transition. But the sound and ease of editing are very high with these machines and, I think, well worth the small initial investment of learning.

Good luck, man, whichever way you head. Some people here have used a variety of these standalones, so definitely trust their opinions more than mine.

J.

A second vote for the Yamaha AW-1600 from me.

I also second everything jeffree said in his very good post.

You don't say what mixer you're using with the TSR-8 but if you can get around the mixer / tape machine combination you can navigate an AW-1600 without much adjustment. It will allow you to do what you imply in your post --- start with a basic high quality recording, then as you become more familiar with the non-linear process of hard disk recording move deeper into the editing facets of the machine.

Or not.

That's the beauty of something like the AW-1600 --- you can use as much or as little of it's power as you feel you need.

:D Yo Edan:

SSS and Jeffree & D. Love all have given you very good info. Maybe I can add a small amount too.

I've been using the Yam 2816 which is quite similar to the AW1600. However, I'll be picking up the AW1600 along with some Adam monitors in a few days.

My 2816 is about 4 years old and it's time to move into newer technology.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about "editing." If you goof up a track, you can do it over with a push of the return button. Not that I didn't like my Tascam multitrack boxes, but waiting for the tape to rewind took too much time and making CDs is what you should be doing. [Oh, you can use tape to do that too.]

I like Jeffree's mode of operation: keep the studio simple and take time to learn the SIAB via the suggested site.

Simply, the more time you spend recording/mixing and burning a CD, the better you will get at adjusting balances, reverbs, and using compression: all of these are part of the AW1600.

I'm sure you will have a great time in the world of digital boxes of many tracks. [I seldom use more than 4 or 5 tracks when I'm doing a song.] But, you can use a spare track or two for enhancing a song, especially Latin stuff.

Have fun man--that's what music is for.

Green Hornet

I don't have time to take a course in engineering or study a manual for a month in order to operate a digital recorder.

I'm a songwriter too but gettng along with only 4-tracks digitally + MIDI. My recommendation to you is to take the time before buying to look at the manuals for the different boxes (most are on line) to get a feel for what is involved. I have however done a lot of window shopping on line and heres's my take.

1. There is a learning curve, mostly in areas where the digital box does things like internal effects, copy/cut/paste/move, inboard drums, bass, CD burning. But for straight recording is usually easier to grasp.

2. The problem is made worse by the fact that all these boxes are made in China, and some of the manuals are HORRIBLE!

3. For whatever reason, the manuals from Tascam are much easier for me to understand. I use a Tascam 4-tracker, now discontinued, and have spent minimum time in the manual. Tascam currently has 8-track offerings called "DP" this and that that interest me, ranging from $300-600, depending on features included. However these units only allow simutaneous recording of two tracks.

4. Tascam also has an unbelievabley low priced 24-tracker, the 2488 mark 2, that allows 8 tracks simutaneously recorded and many many features, including on-board compression I thinks. However, the original version had a lot of problem reports, and the new (year old) mark II version has more problems reported than it should for so new a product. On paper it sounds good, and lots of folks swear by 'em, but I'm still on fence.

5. The Yamaha AW1600 is the other one I would be interested in. It, and its predecessor the AW16G, are well regarded. My one concern is that the manual is pretty bad.

Tom

My one concern is that the manual is pretty bad.

You are talking out of your ass.

Guys like you always want to have something to say, and something a little, well, SPICY.

But not too spicy.

You've obviously never read the AW1600 manual or any other manual without filtering it thru the lens of racial bias and cultural prejudice.

I've had an AW16g since they first came out and the manual was among the best I've read. If anything it over explained some subjects in clear and unaccented English --- but most it explained just right.

You are a pissy little racist who has nothing to offer this board. I think I found the first candidate for my 'ignore' list.

You are talking out of your ass.

Guys like you always want to have something to say, and something a little, well, SPICY.

But not too spicy.

You've obviously never read the AW1600 manual or any other manual without filtering it thru the lens of racial bias and cultural prejudice.

I've had an AW16g since they first came out and the manual was among the best I've read. If anything it over explained some subjects in clear and unaccented English --- but most it explained just right.

You are a pissy little racist who has nothing to offer this board. I think I found the first candidate for my 'ignore' list.

Actually, I have examined the manual as I am seriously considering the AW1600 myself. The lens I filter it through is over 25 years experience writing equipment manuals and other technical documents for a large Japanese company. Believe me -- I know all about "over explanation", and have made a career out of fixing it.

The AW1600 manual indeed seems comprehensive, but is less than desirable in terms of organization and presentation. Of interest to Edan, the manual could be better organized so as to make getting started a little easier for folks with no digital recording experience. Case in point, the AW1600 manual doesn't get around to telling the user how to record until page 39, and under the section title "Track Recording", (as if just plain "Recording" wouldn't be more appropriate to a noob), and the process of recording from tracking to CD burn in is covered within the next 80 pages. By contrast, the Tascam 2488 manual "Recording" section starts on page 24, and covers the process within the following 50 pages. In addition, Tascam provides a 4 page quick start document that covers the whole process, leaving out the descriptive information that miight overwhelm and discourage a first time user. Yamaha may also offer something similar, but if so i have not seen it.

All that said, anyone doubting my judgement can access the manuals and make their own:

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/pa/english/recorders/aw1600_en_om.pdf

http://tascam.com/i-740-232-128-0-8697B893.pdf

http://tascam.com/i-738-232-128-0-15EDE221.pdf

Finally, just for the record, I have no idea how good either of the two units discussed really are, and thus did not let my ass do the talking by recommending one over the other. But If I were buying today, the AW1600 would be my choice because of the previously mentioned problems reported with the Tascam unit. Hopefully, if I do eventually buy the AW1600, I can get help on this board from folks other than the asshole who flamed me.

Last edited:
Some obvious disagreement here, but let me dash in to mention some helpful "quick start" documents (for the 1600 and aw16g) that are available for free download at the user forum I mentioned http://forum.dijonstock.com under "Newbies/Valuable Information". I highly recommend them for any new user. I also seem to remember seeing at least one similar document at www.awinspire.com although I haven't been there lately to be sure.

Best,
J.

Yo Edan & the 1600 brigade:

Got my AW1600 and "inside the box" Yamaha gives a site to go to for some clear assistance.

Just finished copying and reading over the 1600 PDF file called "Recording
101."

It is written in a very, very organized style [I'm an retired English composition teacher] and goes from connecting your monitors to recording steps, etc.
Has no distracing hints that make no sense as does the manual, most of the time.

Site is: www. MPSN.com

So, go there and punch up the file and read it or copy it or both.

As I said in my other post, the 2816 platform and the 1600 platform are VERY similar. For a beginner to the SIAB, the file is a real asset. If Yamaha did their manuals in this clear fashion, they would sell MUCHO MAS SIABs.

CIAO,

Green Hornet:D

Back