digital Piano

jwkim

I mainly record singing and guitar thru my interface (ux2) but now want to get a
digital piano. I'm confused as to how I would hook up the piano to the ux2 and record while singing. My friend tells me to find a piano that has a quarter inch output since my interface has line ins. I've been searching up different pianos and but they don't seem to specifiy having quarter inch outputs. For example the yamaha p95 says that it has MIDI IN/OUT, is that something my interface can be hooked up to?

Are you wanting to sample the sound of that keyboard? Or just record the midi events to reproduce that (or close to it) sound or other sounds from those events (barking spiders)?

1/4" output would likely be a mono line out. Or TRS output. Or termed balanced connection and other wording depending on the age of a piece of gear and who wrote the specs (pre-internet).

Okay, a bit of background here.

MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) is a set of codes that can be used to instruct the proper software in your computer to translate to a musical note. Hitting a key on you keyboard and sending MIDI into your computer lets you trigger what ever event you have set up--it might be a piano note--or a synthesised guitar or drum or whatever you want. You can also use MIDI "notes" to trigger other events in the appropriate software--cue playback, turn effects on and off, whatever. When doing live sound at our local theatre, I have the sound mixer send MIDI to a computer to trigger things like sound effects or video playback. However, the MIDI is only an instruction to trigger something, not music in it's own right. It's very common to use a keyboard to send MIDI instructions to a sequencer programme on your computer...but, from your post, I doubt this is what you want.

Electronic keyboards also tend to have audio outputs, usually on a pair of quarter inch jacks for stereo but sometimes just a single stereo headphone socket. With the right cabling, either of these can be patched into your sound interface (but take care with the headphone route since the headphone volume can easily overload a sound interface).

It'll be pretty rare to find a keyboard (except maybe the cheapest Casios) without some kind of audio output. However, it might be on the spec sheet as "line outputs" or "headphone socket" rather than the quarter inch designation your friend told you.

One final thought...even if you don't need it now, having MIDI out is not a bad idea. At some point in the future you may decide you want to create your own virtual orchestra with a sequencer!

Bob

MIDI most of the use for translate proper software in your computer translate in songs and push the buttons and send message the your computer with the help of the MIDI.It is most important to translate songs.

MIDI most of the use for translate proper software in your computer translate in songs and push the buttons and send message the your computer with the help of the MIDI.It is most important to translate songs.

Well that's good to know. I've been up all night worrying about it...

Back