Digital Piano quality issue

4ever

I recently bought a digital piano. The grand piano sounds awesome. But after playing for like about 10 minutes, it started to sound funny like its coming from a tin can, I cannot describe it. It's not severe but noticable. I use Yamaha EMX5000 powered mixer and JBL 115 15" speakers. The piano sounds from my other synthesizers all seem to have this problem so it's not partaining to this digital piano alone. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Thanks in advance. Willie.

I'm not sure about the "tin can" aspect, sounds like it could be some kind of phase problem that once your ears get tuned in to that's all you hear after that point.

I know with some of the sampled pianos in Dimension Pro there are some really annoying mechanical sounds of the various pianos that are just unlistenable to my ears. Clunky hammers and the wierd artifacts they impart to the sound. I think also because the decay of sampled pianos is not a natural sine wave like we are accustomed to hearing that over time the "un-naturalness" of those samples causes ear fatigue. Then to complicate matters the samples may have digital reverb or other digital FX applied and I think that those can compound the problem.

Also, I have a Moog Voyager that can give me a ripping headache after a while. I don't know what it is about that synth. I have a decent system and try not to over-do the volume and my listening space is treated better than many. I can listen to Grateful Dead and Phil Lesh and Furthur shows off archive.org for hours without getting ear fatigue. But something about the Moog sound just becomes grating after too much. Maybe because I have to concentrate so hard to play keys. :p

Another source of serious listening fatigue to me is digital reverb and FX. There is a panning patch on the Lexicon MPX1 that makes me nauseous in nothing flat.

You might try lower volumes and see if that doesn't have some effect on the situation. Or maybe look into room treatments. A poor listening room just highlights certain frequencies and that can contribute to phasing or boomy bass and lots of other audio weirdness.

You might also try moving the whole piano setup to a different location or pointing it in a different direction in the room. The phase problem might be coming from room resonance.

Last edited:
Electronic item some time may be possible it happens some times ,you check the software setup and different location in your room. Some time this type of problem occurs that time use the headphone.

Back