Digital Patchbays

Neelix

Looking to add an optical and coax spdif patchbay (one of each). I know Z Sys made at least the coax, and I think there was an M-Audio/Midiman optical. Any recommendations on these? Definitely needs to handle 24 bit. Also, comments on cable brands, etc? (I know that can open up a whole debate ala Monster vs standard quality, etc). Thanks for any comments!

I looked around alot for one of these too. I ended up with a Friend-Chip DMX 12/12. Works great and handles 24 bit. Heres the specs.. Good Luck. Oh, and stay away from the Midiman or M-Audio digipatch. No software control or 24 bit. Theres no much out there ... trust me.

Friend-Chip - DMX 12/12 Digital Patchbay
12x12 (stereo pairs) Matrix Patch Bay/Distribution for Stereo SPDIF and 8-channel ADAT signals. Includes MAC and PC control software.
· 12 x 12 crosspoint matrix
· signal distribution
· 6 coaxial in, 6 coaxial out
· 6 optical in, 6 optical out
· optical <> coaxial conversion
· 6 x ADAT routing
· software controlled
· 50 memory locations for presets
The DMX 12 offers a 12 x 12 crosspoint switch matrix and signal distribution. Any sources can be distributed to several outputs, but one output can only be fed from one source.
Optical SP-DIF sources can be routed to coaxial SP-DIF destinations and vice versa. All optical receivers and transmitters can also handle the optical ADAT signal. ADAT format can be switched and distributed for other ADAT receivers, but not be converted to SP-DIF format.
The DMX 12 can be programed from the front pannel or be remotely controlled from PC or MAC software with MIDI sysex or MIDI program change commands.
· MATRIX: 12 x 12 crosspoint matrix
· COAXIAL: 6 x SP-DIF 0.5V +/- 20%
· OPTICAL: 6 x TOSLINK for SP-DIF or ADAT "lightpipe"
· RATES: up to 24 bit, 96 kHz
· PRESETS: 50 memory locations
· REMOTE: MIDI program changes
· MIDI: sysex. remote software

Regards,
Mountaineer

Blue Bear Sound said:
The M-Audio one DOESN'T handle 24-bit... Hosa also makes an optical (lightpipe) one... I have one for sale if you're interested...

Yeah, That's what I said. No software ( beyond Win98 ) and no 24-bit. M-Audio bought Midiman, put their name on the digipatch and then killed it. I recommended the Friend-Chip because Neelix was looking for s/pdif and lightpipe. Other than Z-sys stuff, which is $$$$, it was the best available to fit my needs.

Regards,
Mountaineer

Back