digital audio recording problem

HSX

Hey there. I just recently got a Yamaha 01v and am trying to connect its digital coaxial i/o to my delta 1010 i/o so I can record eveyrthing digitally onto my hard drive. I think I have everything sync'd up correctly but am getting clicks and pops in the audio files that I record. I am using the Yamaha as the master and delta 1010 as the slave.

Does anyone know any settings or anything that I may have missed when I was setting this all up. What are the usually sources for crackles and clicks when recording digitally. I appreciate the help.

system:

PIII 1000 512 MB RAM running Windows 2000
2 20 gig SCSI drives
M-Audio delta 1010 running latest multiclient drivers
Yamaha 01v
Cubase VST 32
Wavelab 3

The most common source of Clicks & Pops in digital format is from the source and destination not being properly synced. Both signals must use the same bit rate & frequency response. I'm not very familiar with the hardware that you describe, but you may want to reverse your master/slave setup (some hardware, mostly soundcards, will not work as a slave and must always be master).

Another source of these pops could be clipping. Analog provides plenty of headroom and can actually produce a pleasing effect if you "pin the needles" and run it in the red. Digital is far less forgiving and anything that surpasses 0 dB is chopped off (clipped). This can happen at any gain stage of the signal chain, so the cause is not always obvious. You may want to check that you're not sending the signal through a windows media mixer inadvertently.

Good Luck,

Steve

figured it out

I found the source of my problem. Damn Delta 1010 was sharing IRQ 11 with about 6 other devices. I moved its PCI card up one and now the problem is resolved. Sweet digital bliss....

thanks for the reply though...

Back