digital audio recording problem

HSX

Hey there. I just recently got a Yamaha 01v and am trying to connect its digital coaxial i/o to my delta 1010 i/o so I can record eveyrthing digitally onto my hard drive. I think I have everything sync'd up correctly but am getting clicks and pops in the audio files that I record. I am using the Yamaha as the master and delta 1010 as the slave.

Does anyone know any settings or anything that I may have missed when I was setting this all up. What are the usually sources for crackles and clicks when recording digitally. I appreciate the help.

system:

PIII 1000 512 MB RAM running Windows 2000
2 20 gig SCSI drives
M-Audio delta 1010 running latest multiclient drivers
Yamaha 01v
Cubase VST 32
Wavelab 3

It could be a clocking problem too. Your computer (the recording medium) has to slave to the incomeing data which is the master.

hi HSX...so you say you got some clicks and pops?--I assume upon playing back what you've recorded...do you hear these same pops from your Windows media player while it is in digital play-back mode--i.e. while listening to a wav.file or mp3?...relax, cause it looks like you've got a killer system...I don't know anything about your 01v in particular, but, I can assume that it is sending a digital stereo signal to your HD via the delta...sounds like a very clean and fast set-up to me...I'll guess that you don't have a problem at all...you want proof?--try this--in WAVELAB (with or without CuBase running), listen critically to one track for about 60 seconds...while listening, watch the vertical line running from left to right as it marks off the seconds...take note of "when" you hear a pop...you will undoubtedly notice a pattern to the pops--for example, you may hear a pop every 10 seconds...welcome to computer recording/digital playback...the pops, however, shouldn't show up when you create a CD...if they do, you have a problem...try it and let us know...I belive these pops are simply an uncontrollable attribute of using our computers as "play-back" devices...as accurate as they are for our application, they were not especially "designed" to play-back music...also, some computer manufacturers build systems that, for whatever reason--quality control, poor design, cheap components etc.--will produce these pops more/louder than others...of course, I could be way off here, but, I notice that you didn't say that these "pops" were especially loud or frequent...again, be sure to let us know what you find out...thanks.

Back